oldbull

Posted Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:03 pm

I found a thread over on EAB where somebody mentioned the OSSC does not convert 50Hz PAL to 60Hz NTSC. It just passes through whatever refresh rate the input signal has. I'm glad I found that before I bought an OSSC.

I've already got two games I can't play because they are PAL only. My A500 has an 8372A Agnus. There is an NTSC/PAL menu option on the ACA500+ boot screen. The only thing I need is a gadget that can translate PAL input signals for my American HDTV.

Recommendations?

Thank you.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:51 pm

How are you connecting and to what display? If you have or can get a Amiga to SCART cable this will work with both PAL and NTSC:

TNP SCART to HDMI Converter Video Audio Adapter Box

obitus1990
USA

Posted Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:01 am

Many HDTVs are region-neutral, for lack of a better way of describing it (maybe bi-modal would be a better way). I have mine, via an OSSC, connected to the HDTV via an RGB-to-SCART adapter, then to the OSSC, and then to the television. The television detects the signal as PAL by indicating this on its screen, and shows the picture just fine.

McTrinsic

Posted Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:05 am

In my case its the other way round.

I once accidentally ran my Atari 7800 with ntcs modules and the TV just displayed it.

Its an old Asus TV.

Not the very best picture quality, though.

oldbull

Posted Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:46 pm

Zippy, I currently have the A500 connected via composite. Yes it's monochrome, but for where I'm at with the hobby right now it's been mostly sufficient. Anyway, I'm ready to upgrade to a color connection and want to make sure whatever I spend money on will be the right thing.

I've read different things in different places and gotten a bit lost. Thanks for recommending something cheap enough I won't be too upset if it doesn't meet my needs.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:39 pm

Oh yeah it will be much better then monochrome. :D

I think you can still buy the Amiga RGB to SCART cables on eBay. Yes, Retro Computer Shack makes them and this is the exact cable I bought.

Personally I like to use an old school CRT but they take up so much room.

Return to “Hardware”