Acill

Posted Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:35 am

Once I hear these are ready to go and working properly I would be happy to use my fab to make some and sell them for a small markup for my time the same way I do my 4000 boards. They are considerably larger and I'd expect they would be close to $85 or $95 each at cost from the US fab I use. Chinese fabs are not going to be much less if you factor in shipping. I make nearly nothing at the $85 for US and $95 for international over the $70 they cost me in batches of 10. (Shipping to me is another $18 per 10). I include free shipping in those prices.

I'd do the same in this case if interest is here in the US is enough to get a few runs. At 50+ the price per board for me also goes down. I'd even consider doing board swaps for those wanting a new 2000 from a dead one. It's faster for me to do them over all the work to ensure one is cleaned up after a battery leak believe it or not.

EDIT: I just got in touch with my friend Peter that does boards for me (I get a huge "friend" discount so having someone else do them will be considerably more) and he tells me a board this size that is only 2 layers he could do at the same price as the 4000 boards ($85 each US, $95 international shipped) If you want to see the shop I use its located here: https://www.e-teknet.com/ and they do a lot more than just PCB manufacturing. Its all US-based. I am MORE than happy to do the work at getting a batch made though and still let them go for the same price as the 4000 boards I do. I'm not into this for money, I do it because I like it and love to see the Amiga live on. I may even see if the guy that did all this work would like me to charge like $5 or $10 more and donate that extra to him. I want to see him get paid for his time too, and since I prefer NOT to make a lot of money off the work I do it would be a great way to get them out for everyone wanting them at a good fair price.

Acill

Posted Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:02 am

Also, this is a gold plated copper ENIG. If you don't care about that and are fine with copper/tin prototype boards like a lot of other sellers I think I can get them a bit less, but I'd prefer NOT to do that.

grshaw

Posted Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:12 am

Wow - this sounds awesome. I would certainly be up for getting one of these if you were able to sell a small batch of them. An A2000 board would be subsantially easier to solder I would expect, because it is mostly / all through hole vs. surface mount.
I may even see if the guy that did all this work would like me to charge like $5 or $10 more and donate that extra to him. I want to see him get paid for his time too, and since I prefer NOT to make a lot of money off the work I do it would be a great way to get them out for everyone wanting them at a good fair price.
Yes - that would be a good thing to do. I would happily pay $10 extra if it went to the chap who did all the work and then open sourced it.

Acill

Posted Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:14 am

Does anyone have contact with him? If so and if he is here even please message me. I'd like to get his PayPal info and setup something.

I've made a small batch of two through my fab here in California. They are only prototype boards that I cleaned up some in the ZII area to see if the signal quality improved any. They also cost me way more than usual because I only got two. The plan is to see if everything still works and if so reach out to the original creator of this project. I'm not wanting to recreate anything he's done and this first is for me and one other person I trust to build it and test is all. Unfortunately I am still working in Spain and won't be back for a couple weeks yet. I'm home on the 14th of August but fly right back out again on the 9th of September to the 26th.

Acill

Posted Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:13 pm

The final version with some cleanup and a few minor fixes is done and in!!! I am asking only $25 over my cost for these. They are $90 shipped in the US and $100 international. That includes all packing and postage along with the cost of a board. Visit my site at www.acill.com and you can email me through there or at [email protected]

grshaw

Posted Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:57 am

This is great news. :D

I am definitely up for buying one of these. I have just ordered an Empty A2000 case of Ebay. It's going to be an epic project for me, but I am going to build an Amiga 2000. I am so excited! :D

Here is a picture of the empty case from the ebay.co.uk listing.
amiga2000Case.jpg
Looks in good condition. Few white marks on it. I am hoping that these will come off with a bit of cleaning.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:19 pm

@grshaw that's a fine looking case indeed!

It's worth noting that with the floppy drive the faceplate is a specific size. If you get a knock-off drive, you may find a large gap around the drive and the case. This happened to a friend of mine recently. Also (if you're a purest) the DF0: is usually without a front door. The df1: (if you go that route) does have one.
Attachments
A2000-floppies2.jpg
I'm, too sexy for my...

obitus1990
USA

Posted Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:07 pm

If you can find someone to 3D print you a faceplate, there are several on Thingiverse for the A2000 drive bays, including one for the Gotek.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:21 pm

This is what my friend's looked like at first...
Attachments
2000Gaps.jpg
Mind the gap.

Crazyeights

Posted Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:28 pm

Nice! Do you have an after photo?

Return to “Hardware”