Amiga hardware info, help and support with a focus (but not limited to) North American NTSC experiences. Open to all.
BatteMan
France

by BatteMan posted Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:01 am

Hi,

I really want to use only WB1.3 on my Amiga 1000 so I searched a solution to use IDE on the Classic 520 (a new card for A500 and compatible with A1000) with Kickstart 1.3.

It's maybe possible to make an "autoboot" disk but I also asked the question to Viktor from iRIX Labs, conceptor of the card. This is his answer and I like it :
You can create a "hacked" Kickstart 1.3 image with scsi.device. It will boot the CF card under 1.3.
Btw, Kickstart 3.1 is recommended for daily use.

I will try both (when I'll buy and receive my Classic 520) ;)

Link to the official website : http://irixlabs.com/c520

But before, I must test my disk drive... I hope it works so I will not buy a HxC too... :shock:
McTrinsic

by McTrinsic posted Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:40 pm

Sorry they dont have a manual for the 520 board on their website.

So I can not find out f you can load a ROM into the board.

Or if you need a modified KickROM Disk for the A1000.

To write any ROM to a Disk so that it becomes an A1000 Kickdisk, even a modified ROM, you can use
http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/WriteKickDisk

To modify a rom first use REMUS and ROMSplit:
http://www.doobreynet.co.uk/beta/
... you might need an emulated Amiga, though, looking at the requirements of the software.
Beska

by Beska posted Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:23 am

I don't think you can add a scsi.device driver to a A1000 kickstart disk. I don't think there is enough room.
You have to add a kickstart adapter and create a custom ROM.
obitus1990
New Orleans, LA, USA

by obitus1990 posted Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:19 pm

You can skip the HxC and spend a lot less money by buying a Gotek drive, flashing it using Keir Fraser's EXCELLENT Flashfloppy firmware, and wind up spending only 1/3 of what one of those Lothartek HxC drives cost. I bought one of those before I knew any better, and spent over $100 to get it sent to me from Amedia in France. A Gotek on eBay or elsewhere is going to cost you $20. Hope that helps to keep your cash in your pocket :)
McTrinsic

by McTrinsic posted Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:16 pm

I like my HxC :)

Anyways - there is a tool on Aminet that allows you to have a very small Workbench and the KickROM on one disk for the A1000.

You could then load the scsi.device from that small WB, execute a reset and boot then from the CF.

Cheers,
McT
BatteMan
France

by BatteMan posted Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:27 am

Hi all,

First of all, thank you !

I want to leave this A1000 in his juice (like we say in France) and I don't want to put an HxC inside my A1000. I'll try to find a not working A1010 in order to put in the HxC (and maybe the Classic 520). I know I'll need a floppy selector if I want to boot from the external HxC. I'm not a fan of the Gotek (don't like how it looks like) and HxC seems, to me and for my usage, more useful/useable.

For the 520, we can put Kickstart directly in the 520 (and select Kickstart via a menu), so it could be "easy" to make and use my personnal Kickstart.