m0th

Posted Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:21 pm

I was recently able to upgrade my A1000 to 8MB along with Kickstart 3.1.4 and wanted to see if I could further enhance it with floppy emulation.

Considering there is a lot of information out there regarding the A500, there doesn't appear to be whole lot when it comes to emulating on the A1000. I noticed a lot of A1000 owners have installed DF0 and DF1 boot selectors in order to get around the DF0 with games. I'm also seeing others mention something about HxC emulation too.

Curious to see what others have used for their A1000 and if they have had any success without the DF0 boot selector.

McTrinsic

Posted Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:30 pm

I’m one of those HxC guys.

There is no game that I am aware of that won’t work with it.

Workbench Software on standard disks works flawless.

These emulated drives are fully mimicking a floppy drive. The Amiga is not able to tell a difference between a real drive and an emulated one.

There are differences in some user-friendliness topics.

The HxCs required you to use a software to change adf files into a proprietary format (hfe). It’s a one-time activity. I prefer the fact that it’s sd-based. It has the option to feed its display info into the video signal of the Amiga. Not possible with internal flickerfixers and rtg though.

The goteks and flashfloppies have either very simple numbered index-leds or some displays.

m0th

Posted Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:19 am

McTrinsic wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:30 pm
I’m one of those HxC guys.

There is no game that I am aware of that won’t work with it.

Workbench Software on standard disks works flawless.

These emulated drives are fully mimicking a floppy drive. The Amiga is not able to tell a difference between a real drive and an emulated one.

There are differences in some user-friendliness topics.

The HxCs required you to use a software to change adf files into a proprietary format (hfe). It’s a one-time activity. I prefer the fact that it’s sd-based. It has the option to feed its display info into the video signal of the Amiga. Not possible with internal flickerfixers and rtg though.

The goteks and flashfloppies have either very simple numbered index-leds or some displays.
Are you running the HxC without the DF0 boot selector? How difficult was it to change those adf files to hfe?

McTrinsic

Posted Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:48 am

As I am using an Amiga based on a Phoenixboard, I use the integrated switch for Df0:/Df1: .

Works flawless. For the Amiga, the device simply is a floppy.

If switched, the Amiga will boot (or try to) from the selected image as if it was a floppy.

You may later use some more advanced features of the HxC such as directory access, but you can instantly start.

To change adfs to hfes is a no-brainer. There is a small program for windows with a GUI (no command line required) where basically you say convert selected image(s) to a selected directory. It’s quick.

To be fair - I have never used a gotek or similar device so I can’t compare them 1:1 personally. I’m just happy with my HxC.

m0th

Posted Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:53 am

McTrinsic wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:48 am
As I am using an Amiga based on a Phoenixboard, I use the integrated switch for Df0:/Df1: .

Works flawless. For the Amiga, the device simply is a floppy.

If switched, the Amiga will boot (or try to) from the selected image as if it was a floppy.

You may later use some more advanced features of the HxC such as directory access, but you can instantly start.

To change adfs to hfes is a no-brainer. There is a small program for windows with a GUI (no command line required) where basically you say convert selected image(s) to a selected directory. It’s quick.

To be fair - I have never used a gotek or similar device so I can’t compare them 1:1 personally. I’m just happy with my HxC.

Can I ask where you purchased yours? Are you in the US?

McTrinsic

Posted Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:08 am

Hi,

I ordered directly from Lotharek.

I live in Germany.

Cheers,
McT

Return to “Hardware”