m0th

Posted Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:57 pm

After digging through some resources on Google, I found that there are limited options for a CF card on an Amiga 1000. I have seen most people either use a Witcher A500i or the AFA500 with modification for the A1000. Is there any technique or modification out there?

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:05 pm

The ACA500(+) simply may or may not work. The designer of the card has pointed that out before. If you’re lucky your card could work with your A1000. It really is down to luck. Some have had success here.

For the other cards I don’t know.

There is a certain number of cards from the home brew scene. Most seem to work with the A1000 but might require Kickstart 2 or higher.

First, ask yourself if any expansion needs be external or if it could be internal. There are some more internal options.

Second, consider a KickROM for the A1000. One such board is discussed here on this forum. That would greatly help with the expansions requiring KS2+.

m0th

Posted Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:29 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:05 pm
The ACA500(+) simply may or may not work. The designer of the card has pointed that out before. If you’re lucky your card could work with your A1000. It really is down to luck. Some have had success here.

For the other cards I don’t know.

There is a certain number of cards from the home brew scene. Most seem to work with the A1000 but might require Kickstart 2 or higher.

First, ask yourself if any expansion needs be external or if it could be internal. There are some more internal options.

Second, consider a KickROM for the A1000. One such board is discussed here on this forum. That would greatly help with the expansions requiring KS2+.
Considering the cost, that's not something I might want to gamble on. So I think I will pass on the ACA500+. I recently installed 3.1.4 on my A1000 and didn't realize you need a HDD in order to do the full install. Are you referring to the re-locator board? I'm currently using that in my A1000 right now :)

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:20 pm

Yes, I meant the relocate board that allowes you to add a KickROM.

Great thing to have in an A1k.

Now you need to decide if you want an internal accelerator and/or HDD (CF) option.

BTW, 3.1.4 also needs 2MB Chip. Or was it any RAM? Anyways more than a stock A1k ;) .

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:27 am

m0th wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:57 pm
After digging through some resources on Google, I found that there are limited options for a CF card on an Amiga 1000. I have seen most people either use a Witcher A500i or the AFA500 with modification for the A1000. Is there any technique or modification out there?

If you’re already using MKL’s 8MB board, why not go ahead and get his IDE68K adapter to go with it? You can stack the two, and I’ve fit both + IDE2SD inside the case along with the RF shield just fine. He sells it for ~$50 on eBay and AmiBay.

m0th

Posted Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:07 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:20 pm
Yes, I meant the relocate board that allowes you to add a KickROM.

Great thing to have in an A1k.

Now you need to decide if you want an internal accelerator and/or HDD (CF) option.

BTW, 3.1.4 also needs 2MB Chip. Or was it any RAM? Anyways more than a stock A1k ;) .
It's by far the best mod I've found for the A1k out there! I would love an accelerator but they're so expensive... Something perhaps if I ever find a cheap A500. I'm also running the 8MB MKL IDE with the re-locator.
oldbull wrote: Did you see my post about an A1000 compatible accelerator? That thing has a CF slot.
Found this same one just looking around the internet. Very expensive... something I might try if I every get an A500.
EzdineG wrote: If you’re already using MKL’s 8MB board, why not go ahead and get his IDE68K adapter to go with it? You can stack the two, and I’ve fit both + IDE2SD inside the case along with the RF shield just fine. He sells it for ~$50 on eBay and AmiBay.
Is that this one?

I believe the one he sold me already has that. Mine is green and looks slightly different in design.

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:03 am

If you already have both his 8MB expansion and the IDE68K adapter, just put any old CF card in there and install workbench on to it. Make sure you’ve wired up the INT2 and OVR leads to the expansion bus right next to the socket.

The 3.1.4 ROM should allow you to boot from MKL’s board just fine, and you do *not* need 2mb chip to use 3.1.4 as you have plenty of fast RAM.

m0th

Posted Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:44 am

EzdineG wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:03 am
If you already have both his 8MB expansion and the IDE68K adapter, just put any old CF card in there and install workbench on to it. Make sure you’ve wired up the INT2 and OVR leads to the expansion bus right next to the socket.

The 3.1.4 ROM should allow you to boot from MKL’s board just fine, and you do *not* need 2mb chip to use 3.1.4 as you have plenty of fast RAM.
I'm assuming this is what would connect to the IDE slot?

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:14 pm

m0th wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:44 am
I'm assuming this is what would connect to the IDE slot?

Given how little room you're going to have it would be better to get an IDE cable to extend the CF/SD off onto the motherboard area. MKL's adapter is 40 pins if you don't have the model with the direct CF slot on the board, so be prepared to (most likely) have to provide power to it, too.

Return to “Hardware”