intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:34 am

God I hope this is real. It almost sounds too good to be true.

There's a new Kickstarter promising brand new mechanical keyboards.
kickstarter-keyboard.jpg
Bustin' out the white glove treatment.

There's currently an "early bird special" that works out to an incredible $69 USD for one set, plus $15 for shipping. Frankly, this seems almost too good to be true but I'm going for it. Not only does it promise the new PCB, but even your choice of mechanical switches and a new set of keycaps.
keyboard-with-keycaps.jpg
These keycaps are blinding me. With Science!

What is included

Keyboard PCB with full set of Cherry MX compatible switches. All switches are socketed (easily replaceable). You can choose switches of the following types: blue, brown, red.

Set of keycaps for the UK and US layout.

Flat flex cables for connecting it to the keyboard controller board of your Amiga. Keycap stabilizers for all large keys. Nuts and bolts for securing the keyboard on the metal plate. We will use existing holes on the metal plate of your Amiga, so no drilling is required.

I really hope this is legit. But, it's "cheap" enough for me to take the risk. Kickstarter, don't fail us. Again.

ArtstateDigital
Wales, United Kingdom

Posted Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:21 am

Yes, I agree. Those keycaps are incredibly bright! 8-)

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:48 pm

I can't help but wonder if I've strolled right into a scam.

No names, no faces, no voices... I dropped a comment on the page to see if they'd offer more transparency. I really hope this is real, but the prices seem too good to be true.

I still pledged, tho. :?

On Kickstarter:
Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 12.49.52 PM.png

BloodyCactus
Lexington VA

Posted Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:56 pm

interesting there is no markings on the pcb.

different trace layout than kipper2k pcb.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:12 pm

Who knows if it's valid info or not, but, the kickstarter project founder is listed at the bottom of the about page on the kickstarter.

Micronics
Melbourne, AU

Few months ago, one of us found his old Amiga computer in his garage, and after using it for a while, was surprised how bad the keyboard was. That's how the idea for this project was born. And we already have more ideas (most of them regarding vintage computers, which we are very passionate about), and hope that with your support we can bring them to life as well. Even though this is our very first project, we are not amateur as we spent our entire life working as professionals on projects of very broad spectrum, and many orders of magnitude more complex than this one. Together as a team we have all the necessary expertise to bring a new product to life, from initial design to final delivery. We have extensive experience in electronics engineering, software development, risk management, supply chain management.

Liwei Guan
Last login Oct 24 2019
Not connected
First created · 0 backed
themicronics.com

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:51 am

Well, since I'd need a German keyboard layout, I'll have to wait till the campaign's end. That's where they want to decide if the do a German layout too. (at leat that's what they mentioned in the comments on Kickstarter.)

Return to “Hardware”