intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue May 26, 2020 10:29 am

By terriblefire (Stephen Leary) on Exxos Forum:
This board is designed to allow me to re-engineer Agnus (cycle exact) and enable us to build Amigas into the future.
reagnus.jpg
Image by Stephen Leary

Wow!

TommyE

Posted Wed May 27, 2020 2:40 pm

wow, maybe we can see a 4mb chipmem version? 😀

/TommyE

nonarkitten

Posted Thu May 28, 2020 8:53 am

TommyE wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:40 pm
wow, maybe we can see a 4mb chipmem version? 😀

/TommyE
The board has no RAM. My understanding is that he wants to make a 1:1 faithful reproduction of just Agnus -- bugs and limitations included.

BloodyCactus
Lexington VA

Posted Thu May 28, 2020 1:38 pm

as long as you understand it has no firmware. its just a pcb with fpga on it and level shifters. he still needs to write the firmware.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:01 pm

Sadly, another project killed by "the community" and its incessant propensity for ass-hattery.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:19 pm

@obitus1990 what happened?

obitus1990
USA

Posted Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:12 pm

Stephen pulled the plug on all the TF projects and on this one because someone on the Polish Amiga forum threatened Stephen that he would clone and sell the TF536 "by the thousands" (this was before the TF536 was to be made open source, I think). It is thought that the Gerbers were compromised by a bug in JLCPCB.com's ordering system that allowed you to reorder any PCB they made if you knew the order number, which JLCPCB imprints on the PCB when they make it, regardless if you were the original customer or not. This person in Poland, it seems, misunderstood (poor translation) when Stephen said he would no longer ship to Poland because their postal system is terrible and many boards sent there (from authorized PCB sellers) got lost. This particular Polish person took it to mean that Stephen would not sell to the Polish, and called Stephen racist or some other such nonsense, and many on the PPL forum piled on (I haven't read this myself, and read it second hand on other forums). So, out of a desire for "revenge" on Stephen, this person caused the following to transpire:

Stephen removed all his Github repositories for past TF cards, and, will not open source the TF1260 for the 1200, and stopped development of his prototype TF4060 (060 for the 4000). If you want a TF1260, you have to be a member of his Scottish Amiga Users Group, a close friend, or, a close friend of one of the three people he will allow to build them, AlenPPC in Canada, Chucky in Sweden, and 8-bit-dreams in Germany, per his postings on Exxos. He ended design of the ReAgnus and will not open source it either. He's stated he's moving onto the Atari scene instead, where they are practically begging for all the stuff the Amiga has gotten in the past few years due to the efforts of dedicated hobbyists such as Stephen.

I can't say I blame him...I'd have been at the end of my rope a long time ago given all the criticism and demands people in "the community" have levied upon him the past few years while developing open sourced accelerators for the Amiga. Now, if you want a new o6o based accelerator for your 1200, you'll pay through the nose for one from Jens or the Warp team.
Last edited by obitus1990 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nonarkitten

Posted Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:14 pm

Stephen has offered me the project. I don't mind taking it from him, though I would rather he just come back to the community so I haven't pushed. But I can make it part of my GitHub and with Frederic's MCC code, could get it up and running after Buffee.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:16 pm

nonarkitten wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:14 pm
Stephen has offered me the project. I don't mind taking it from him, though I would rather he just come back to the community so I haven't pushed. But I can make it part of my GitHub and with Frederic's MCC code, could get it up and running after Buffee.
Good to know... I too hope he comes back.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:08 pm

Thank you for the backstory, obitus1990.

I had heard this and that in bits and pieces. I'd even seen an emotional video by Stephen where he announced he was pulling out but I didn't fully understand the jist of the whole history. And soon after I'd watched it, it was deleted.

What a crying shame - all of it. This is supposed to be a fun pastime and hobby, not something to cause one's hair to turn prematurely gray and fall out.

Return to “Hardware”