AmigaFox

Posted Sat May 20, 2017 9:02 am

Wow, I've been away for a long time haven't I? Anyway, I figured I would give an update on what's happened with this hard drive situation. Since my last post, my DF1 drive died. I considered replacing it, but I couldn't find any working Commodore floppy drives on ebay. The DF1 I had was a generic brand and I don't want to get another one of those. As for hard drives, I gave up on that. I'm down to one floppy drive now and have switched to using Notepad instead of Pro-Write as a result. Notepad is good enough given my current setup and I can save to the workbench disk since there is some blank space on there. I have Aexplorer on the same disk so I can transfer files to my PC using the null modem cable I have. A hard drive would've been nice, but I guess there's no point for me since I primarily use my A500 for creative writing. I do game on it, but I haven't had any luck finding a game that I really really like (though I might give Pinball Dreams a try since I love pinball video games).

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Sat May 20, 2017 9:53 am

Well, I know you said there's no point in getting a hard drive; but in case anybody reading in does wish to go that route; I consider it quite easy, even on the 500. This video is not public yet, it's unlikely to be public until I finish my review for Pool of Radiance... But it's actually been sitting on my channel for some time just chilling. So, for the select few who care... Installing a GVP Hard Drive on an Amiga 500

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEauYZ_PNxw

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun May 21, 2017 6:54 pm

I have several external floppy drives. I don't need them all. I have 2 Commodore Amiga drives that are in excellent condition - not by a 3rd party manufacturer... I'd sell one for $60 plus shipping if you're interested. That's what I paid for it.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:39 am

If you want a modern solution, go to www.icomp.de and buy an ACA500+. It uses CF cards as hard drives, gives you 8MB RAM, acts as an accelerator and many other things. I have one on my A500, and it's great.

AmigaFox

Posted Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:39 am

obitus1990 wrote:If you want a modern solution, go to http://www.icomp.de and buy an ACA500+. It uses CF cards as hard drives, gives you 8MB RAM, acts as an accelerator and many other things. I have one on my A500, and it's great.
The ACA500+ does sound amazing, however, I'm not sure if they let you checkout with PayPal. They'll let you pay with PayPal, but unlike other sites there is no link that says "checkout with PayPal."
intric8 wrote:I have several external floppy drives. I don't need them all. I have 2 Commodore Amiga drives that are in excellent condition - not by a 3rd party manufacturer... I'd sell one for $60 plus shipping if you're interested. That's what I paid for it.
Sorry I never replied back to you. Are you on ebay? I ask because there is a seller on ebay selling a Commodore 1010 floppy drive for around the same price you mentioned who is a huge Amiga fan judging by the listing and is located in Seattle and has "Eric" in the username.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:12 am

Yep, that's me on ebay: erickhill

I put a couple of things out there to put my finger in the air to see which direction the wind is blowing these days on Ebay from a seller's perspective. I plan on adding a lot more soon. I need to purge.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:48 am

In fact - the drive literally just sold. Not sure if that was you, or pure coincidence. In either case, there will be more put up there soon. :)

AmigaFox

Posted Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:03 pm

intric8 wrote:In fact - the drive literally just sold. Not sure if that was you, or pure coincidence. In either case, there will be more put up there soon. :)
Yep that was me! :)

Return to “Hardware”