Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:55 pm

It's pretty much just a drag and drop procedure both ways. No blasted and stupid registry to worry about, no calls to the exact model of your hard drive... So yours, mine, anyone's files can drop onto a new drive and you'd have that system up and running. You just need to partition/format the drive, and that's it. I mean I installed Workbench for the hell of it, simply to use it for video material, but without installing a thing onto it you could boot up workbench via a floppy, run Amiga explorer via a floppy, and then transfer everything back to the drive.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:56 pm

I've collected a little more information on Quarterback and Quarterback Tools.

First off, it looks like it can back up to other things other than floppies, which makes sense. Although that did seem to be its original selling feature (which boggles the mind). In the manual they talk about performing full backups as well as scheduled, incremental backups.

And I'm guessing I could pretty easily do full backups using my SyQuest drive. Kind of a neat idea.
backup-sources.jpg
Backup destination options in Quarterback Tools for Amiga.

And, I think you were part joking part serious, but Quarterback absolutely can backup to tape drives! It's part of the package.
tapeControl.jpg
Tape Drive options for backing up with Quarterback.

I've also got an original disk of Cross DOS, too, should that put a sparkle in your eye.
qb-disks.jpg
Quarterback Tools, and Cross DOS.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:33 pm

aww yeah! Indeed, it was a half joke/half serious comment with the tape drive. I have genuine fascination with that method of storage, and have read and watched several things on it. I have a reel to reel but my knowledge is here and there based; I would be unlikely to ever start work on that, but a part of me would love to do it, just to do it... lol

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:39 pm

And I don't think I ever realized Cross DOS was available for Workbench 1.3 and below. I know that was a part of Workbench with 2.0 and beyond, but yeah, that's a pretty sweet find as well!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:30 pm

re: CrossDOS, it might be 2.0. I'm not sure. But I'll give it a whirl when I'm done doing backup stuff.

Return to “Hardware”