Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:41 pm

And I like your choice of hard drive names by the way. "Flash I love you! But we only have 14 hours to save the Earth!"

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Indeed. That's all of them. I've been using it for years to be the Workbench 1.3 power user that I am :p

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:59 pm

I could read it for days!...

As for the HD naming, I couldn't help myself. If I do a 3-partition card, I'll add Klytus to the mix, most likely. :)
The Emperor Ming: Klytus, I'm bored. What play thing can you offer me today?
Klytus: An obscure body in the S-K System, Your Majesty. The inhabitants refer to it as the planet... Earth. (pronounced 'euurrth')
The Emperor Ming: How peaceful it looks...
[He activates a console, and watches as earthquakes, floods, etc. start to occur. They both get a good laugh out of it]
Klytus: Most effective, Your Majesty! Will you destroy this Earth?
The Emperor Ming: Later. I like to play with thing a while before annihilation.
[laughs evilly]
Flash!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 11.00.29 PM.png
MIng, and Klytus.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:18 am

Regarding your extra floppy drive dilemma; does the Amiga 2000 have an external floppy drive port? If so, why not ditch the extra floppy you have inside the machine and go with an external one?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:17 am

"Does the Amiga 2000 have an external floppy drive port?" It absolutely does. I very well could go this route.

I'm only hemming and hawing because the mounting bracket I've seen out there is butt ugly, and as dumb as it sounds that matters to me.

However, I might be able to remove the floppy and mount the SCSI2SD card there, but use a blank faceplate. That would tidy up the wiring a ton, and make it more presentable and usable when I pop off the case. Hm..

Yeah, that might be the way to go.

The reason others use the 3D-printed bracket, and put it where the 2nd floppy goes, is because it has 2 little openings. One is for the USB port (for firmware updates, device management, etc.) and the other is to pop in and out new SD cards without jacking with the case. Plus, you can see the little "working" LED light blink when the card is in use, which is kind of handy.

But damn - no offense to the 3D designer, but blech! Very utilitarian, not very sweet looking. I'd be more inclined to get the bracket, but use a hacksaw to remove the exterior facing side. Might do that.
Attachments
sd-side.JPG
sd-face.JPG

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:25 am

I've since found this one which really has a lot of promise. At least this has some nice little bevels. I still think it'll need to be sanded down and painted to be presentable.

I love the Shapways site. I was able to pick up a little nub of plastic for my 1084S monitor's knob door that broke off in the shipping ages ago. Was able to super glue the new knob on and now the little door stays shut. Lots of neat little things out there for C= gear.
Attachments
black.jpg
metallic.jpg

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:07 am

I ordered a black one, since my SyQuest below is also black. At least that'll match. Will see how it goes!

#Progress

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:34 am

The materials of this extra drive bracket look fantastic in person, but it wasn't made for a typical floppy size. In fact it was designed specifically for samplers. I got it, and love the look of it, but it's too short vertically. It leaves a huge gap which, frankly, just doesn't look good at all.

I've tucked mine inside the case. Truth is I never need to access it anyway.

Return to “Hardware”