TenLeftFingers

Posted Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:23 am

That sounds promising. It's still a legitimate gripe since it requires a new system installation. But it's good that future shipments can be rid of some of these issues and I would be forgiving of hiccups like this too.

As for open source; I think that unless you have a large company then you need outside help and open source can be part of that plan. Not knowing much about the development of AROS, I don't know how much of a difference it has made. Open Source projects in Linux land struggle sometimes too. And linux itself, while open source, thrives becasue of the huge commercial backing it receives. Even Microsoft wants their hypervisor supported by linux and has contributed code.

If open source would make a difference, I would think it needs to happen soon. The older I get the more I turn my attention to family and society and less towards technology. Are the youth going to pick up the torch? I doubt it.

icbrkr
Particles! BBS

Posted Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:18 am

So, figured out how to get around the gmail.com problem - spoof IE 10 and it seems to work fine.

Turned off the power down feature in the screen blanker, and my crashes seem to have gone away mostly.

icbrkr
Particles! BBS

Posted Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:49 pm

Well it's been over a week.

I reformatted the drive, gave myself a swap partition (which I didn't see originally on the drive - it's a partition used for virtual memory), and honestly, it's been pretty dang stable.

Been using it to surf the web without a problem, with some minor rendering problems. Changed to AmiIRC for my IRC client and it's been fine.

Using Cinnamon Writer for my word processor, trying out AmiCygnix (for running *nix apps).

I've got a wireless NIC here that's supposed to work that I'm going to try out.

I have a large stack of DVDs from issues of Amiga Future that I've been getting for years that I finally get to test out.

So far... I'm pretty happy.

icbrkr
Particles! BBS

Posted Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:56 pm

Just checking in...

So, I tried out the wireless card and well... it didn't work as well as I'd hoped, so I'm back to my current wirelessly bridge.

I switched out the sound card with a PCIe card (it was a PCI card) and... oh wow... 100% difference.

Youtube works perfectly. I can listen to John Oliver drone on and on about Trump while I post this message (which I'm doing!). Before, everything was choppy. Now it's perfect, 7-10% CPU usage.

TenLeftFingers

Posted Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:01 pm

This all sounds really promising, thanks for the updates. I'm even more tempted to buy an A1222 :) It sounds like bar the WiFi, everything works fairly well. Any noticeable gaps with websites?

icbrkr
Particles! BBS

Posted Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:59 am

Yeah there's definitely some weirdness on some websites. You figure the browser is a few years out of date so any new features or whatnot aren't supported as of yet.

Even when I spoof stuff, it complains because what I'm spoofing is out of date anyway.

I just solved another 'issue' which may have fixed a bunch of other issues I was having that I couldn't figure out.

I plugged in a jump drive (or iPhone, or whatever), and started to copy a large amount of files and everything gets wonky after that. The keyboard starts acting up and types phantom stuff. Windows don't drag properly.

I posted it up on the Hyperion forums. And then I figured I'd take some hardware out of the equation. I had the keyboard/mouse hooked to a KVM, so I tried plugging the keyboard straight into the computer and...

it's not detected.

What? It's a keyboard. The stack saw it as a keyboard, but it wouldn't use it. So I try another generic keyboard. It wouldn't detect it either. I finally steal my kid's MacAlly keyboard and it works fine. I try copying files over, and so far its working without a problem (posting from it right now). So bizarre that something like a basic HID wouldn't work.

icbrkr
Particles! BBS

Posted Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:45 pm

Well it looks like a big issue has been fixed.

So many sound cards have problems. And the reason isn't limited to just Amigas... Linux boxes have the same issue. And technically Windows boxes too.

There's a PCI/PCI Bridge chip that's bad on sooo many cards. I finally got a Soundblaster SB220 card and I've been running for hours without any problems at all. No lockups. Streaming media.

I'm waiting for a SATA card to come in so I can slap in another drive and use Linux.

The last thing I'm really missing is a Terminal program that works with 4.1. So far, nothing I can find works properly.

Bulletdust

Posted Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:53 pm

I have to say, I don't run Windows, I run Linux 100% and I've had little in the way of issues with sound cards - Right now I'm running a Soundblaster X-Fi with no problems whatsoever.

Linux has improved considerably in the last three years alone.

Reading about your experience with the X5000 honestly puts me off the machine somewhat, especially considering that my overclocked G4 Mac Mini has never once missed a beat and the only website I had to switch to mobile format for compatibility was YouTube, even my G4 PowerMac ran MorphOS with absolutely no issues whatsoever and cost me considerably less than an X5000 - In fact it ran great considering it only had a 500Mhz PPC processor!

The purists may like to argue that Morphos on a Mac Mini isn't 'pure Amiga', but the fact is, neither is the X5000 - It's PPC architecture with none of the custom chips that made the Amiga 'an Amiga' - Mac PPC hardware is really no different in this regard.

Congrats on the purchase, but my PPC based Amiga runs MorphOS on an overclocked Mac Mini and it's never missed a beat for the $$.

Overall, I really appreciate your honesty, but Hyperion need to open up OS4.1 for more than very exclusive, and expensive, custom hardware. In fact in the past some of the hardware was more like beta testing boards than true custom hardware.

See you on Particles BBS, love it on my C64!

Return to “Hardware”