LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:21 am

Hey all,

Now that I know that I have a working Amiga 500, now I need to also figure out just how I'm gonna hook it up to a display quickly and easily.

While I do have an RGB-to-VGA adapter, my LCD VGA monitor doesn't sync to the 15 KHz signal. I have a CRT VGA monitor I can try, but I don't know if it's working or not.

My other option is to buy a SCART cable (Amigastore.eu has one for a decent price), and get a SCART-to-HDMI converter from Amazon. However, before I go this route, I would like to get people's opinions and suggestions first.
  • Does the conversion cause any kinds of delays with input and action on screen?
  • Will it also help handle PAL conversion?
  • If this is a good route, can anyone recommend to me a good converter?
Last edited by LambdaCalculus on Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:18 pm

I'm always going to recommend getting a nice, solid CRT for the best overall experience. I'm biased - I think the Commodore monitors are just the best in most cases. CRTs also provide that excellent pixel blending that sharp LCDs don't do, which thus are blockier looking.

But I also recognize that LCDs are more affordable and require far less space.

I've seen one LCD float up in conversations like this over and over. I asked icbrkr (as I knew I'd seen him mention it on his BBS months ago) and it's the NEC 1970NX.

He also pointed me to this, which is a fabulous list of modern monitors that support 15 kHz analog RGB signals.

Good luck on your decision.

P.S.
It's not intuitive I know, but when you create a bulleted list with BBCode you use the [ list ] [ /list ]tags around the bullet tags. Watch out because some of these elements create weird spacing. It's fixable and not a big deal, but worth knowing it'll happen.

And for URLs, if you want to link something you do it like this (without spaces, which I added to make it spit out text) [ url=http://your-URL-here ]your link text[ /url ]
Edit: Ah - it looks like you figured out the link part. :)

LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:15 am

Since it turns out I don't have a working CRT monitor, I decided to get a nice SCART cable off Amigastore.eu (I got this cable) and a SCART-to-HDMI adapter off Amazon. The adapter will arrive earlier than the cable, but no worries! I'll have a good setup soon enough! :)

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:30 am

Cool - curious about your impressions when you get it all put together.

Return to “Hardware”