LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:32 am

So today I'll be hopping by my post office to pick up my latest haul from AmigaStore.eu: an A512 memory expansion (which is going into my KS 2.04-based Amiga 500), a SCART cable, and a copy of Relokick which is a contingency plan. And since I have my SCART-to-HDMI adapter, I'm going to be hooking up the A500 and giving it a little kick around with some Lemmings or Welltris action. :)

But I still need a joystick! So here's my big question:

I have a Sega Genesis and about 4 joypads for it. I know that both systems have DE9M connections for their controllers, but I'm not sure if a Genesis pad is pin compatible with the Amiga. Has anyone ever tried using a Genesis (or hell, even a Sega Master System) controller on the Amiga? Any good results? Any chance of potentially killing a port or a pad? Or should I bite the bullet and buy an Amiga compatible pad on my next AmigaStore purchase?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:47 am

I've never tried that - I use a TAC-2 and Wico Command Control Bat Handle Joystick depending on the game. The TAC-2 almost always wins, though and is my go-to choice.

The thing about Amiga joysticks is that they are just like the C64 - they only support one button. I doubt plugging your Genesis joystick in the 500 would do any type of physical harm. Which button you use, though, I have no idea. Unlike the TAC-2, where all buttons do the same thing but are simply made for lefties or righties to enjoy, the Genesis pad's buttons are very specifically different.

Interesting idea, though. I use a similar looking joystick made by Logitech on my ancient WinXP PC when I need to use an emulator. And only one of its buttons works, too, even though it is covered in them.

Note: the some old Amiga joysticks had metal around the input port. Even though the majority are made of plastic without any metal, I've read some folks to just play it safe and only plug in/out joysticks and mouses when the power is off.

LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:52 am

I'm guessing then that the Genesis pad should at least allow me some degree of control if it's wired similarly to an Amiga joystick. Although I have also seen Amiga joysticks with two or more buttons (and of course there's the CD32 pad with five face buttons (four main plus Play/Pause), and a couple of games do support more than one button, like Turrican or Mortal Kombat, for example (maybe more as well?)

On a related note, I have tried using a Genesis pad on an Atari VCS with positive results; the D-pad registers all directions and the B button is the Atari's fire button. Likewise, you can also use an Atari VCS joystick on the Genesis, albeit of course limited to one button! But hey, you can easily play a game like Sonic the Hedgehog on just one button! :P

mattsoft

Posted Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:34 pm

I use Genesis joypads for my Amiga. They work great, and some WHDLoad games have been "enhanced" with support for a 2nd button for things like jump which works perfect with the Genesis controller. The Amiga was seriously hampered by only 1 button joysticks...

You could also "keep it in the family" and get an Amiga Powerstick: https://goo.gl/images/LyCY6E -- I have one of these and use it on my Atari ST. It's small -- perfect for kid's hands.

LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:10 am

Excellent! Glad to know I can grab a nearby pad and pop it onto the Amiga with no issue! :)

Once Mortal Kombat arrives in the post, I can give it a whirl with the Genesis pad. :)

Return to “Hardware”