Bulletdust

Posted Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:45 am

I'll test it under Term 4.8.

Can't get online at the moment as the board is busy, is that you intric8? ;)

Bulletdust

Posted Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:58 am

While I'm waiting [yawn], here's my WiModem232 configuration in case it helps:

Bulletdust

Posted Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:24 am

Waiting....Waiting....

I can't believe the boards this busy!

Bulletdust

Posted Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:40 am

I can't get Term to work now, it comes up like this and I have no idea why.

Every other terminal program connects just fine in PETSCII or ANSI mode. I've had Term working before, not too sure what's going on?

Bulletdust

Posted Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:01 am

Sorry for the mass of replies.

Thought I'd give 64Door one more shot for the night as I'm getting tired now, it crapped out even faster this time, there was a lot more 'v's, I tried deleting them - It was deleting them at snails pace when it dropped carrier...

I'll attempt more diagnosis in between jobs tomorrow, first day back after the Christmas/New Years break so it's gonna be hard.

JimDrew
LHC, AZ

Posted Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:03 am

Bulletdust wrote:I can't get Term to work now, it comes up like this and I have no idea why.

Every other terminal program connects just fine in PETSCII or ANSI mode. I've had Term working before, not too sure what's going on?
This is pretty common actually with any ANSI terminal program. This occurs when a series of characters puts the terminal into ANSI graphics mode, at which point you get the 128 byte shifted value displayed instead of the normal value. This happens typically when a connection is terminated or the wrong baud rate is selected, the modem is first plugged in, etc. The solution I used back in the day (and still) is to switch screen modes from what you are using to something else, and then back again to what you were using - at least this works for JRComm and NComm, which are the only Amiga terminal programs that I use.

I wonder if some problems people report about 64 door have to do with the DTR/DSR. By default the WiModem232 has these two connections jumpered. Paul's WiFi232 modem does not. When I return from my trade show, I will try changing jumper setttings and such. I just have never seen an issue with 64 door, no matter what I do.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:46 am

Curious - do you have a different machine besides the 1200 you've got? If you were able to reproduce what we're seeing and experiencing that would help a lot I know. Otherwise it's all this he said she said stuff, which is nearly impossible for you to troubleshoot.

Whatever is going on with Bulletdust is exactly what I see, too (on C64/128 based boards). I'll try to experiment a bit more later today. I'll go poke some ANSI boards and I won't use 64Door just to verify my baseline is solid. I don't know what the DTS jumpers are for, but at least that's something to focus on. It makes no sense to me why your 1200 (which I assume is NTSC?) would seem to be immune.

Thanks, Jim.

Bulletdust

Posted Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:05 pm

Using Jim's instructions I was able to get Term 4.8 working today and overcome the 'gibberish' text on the screen issue.

I dialed into ParticlesBBS (The poor Sysop must be getting so sick of me there!), started to type a reply to a message, within the second line things started slowing down to the point where the software froze - It didn't drop carrier, communication just froze but the rest of the OS was running fine.

There's definitely something odd going on here...

Screen shot for reference:

JimDrew
LHC, AZ

Posted Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:28 am

I am using a stock A2000, a A2000 with Vampire 2 board, A 1200 with Blizzard 030, a stock A500, a stock A1000, a A3000 w/040, a Tandy 100, a Tandy 102, and a Laser 128 (Apple II compatible).

I am back from the trade show, so I will look into this again. Maybe you both just have bad RF modules (CPU/RF etc. is in the module). I have sold hundreds of these in the last 2 weeks, with many more hundreds in use for the last 2 years. So, if there was an actual firmware issue we would have known about it a long time ago because everyone would be complaining. :)

My A1200 is a PAL version, complete with the British pound symbol in place of the # character.

Bulletdust

Posted Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:55 pm

I doubt it's an issue with the actual A1200, it's never missed a beat in any other circumstance, what's the RF module got to do with RS232 communication? Commodore wern't the greatest with their quality control in the day, so there could be slight timing differences, especially on the A1200 - But I feel I can confidently say there is no fault with my actual A1200.

Twice last night I was in the terminal screen attempting to connect to a board using atds=1, I'd type adtssssssssssssssss - Except I only hit the 's' key once? In that example I wasn't even 'dialed in' to a site.

I have an A500 here, I'll set it up and see what happens.

Return to “Hardware”