intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:26 am

IMG_2915.jpg
The brand new Amiga WiFi modem by Jim Drew: the WiModem232.

I got my hands on an early model of the upcoming WiModem232 by Jim Drew this week. This is a brand new WiFi capable modem for all models of Amiga computers (and other retro-computers). The Amiga 1000 will need to use a gender changer; all other models it is instantly plug-and-play.

This early model came with no instructions and was simply placed inside a small plastic baggie. But upon removing it from its comfy wrappings one thing became very clear: this new WiFi modem for the Amiga (and other retro-computers) is a really solid build. And, having used Jim's WiModem for the C64 I knew it was going to be drop-dead easy to use.

There are two WiModem models to choose from - you can either get one with or without an OLED screen. The modem costs $44.95 or $54.95 if you want one with an OLED screen. After having used Jim’s WiModem for the C64 with an OLED screen for some time now, for me personally the decision was a no-brainer. I just love the screen’s look and helpful UI feedback to inform me of the modem’s status.

At first I did briefly wonder what to do. But knowing Jim’s attention to detail and user-focused approach (and the very similar name to his C64 product), I actually pulled up my manual for the C64 WiModem that Jim wrote and followed the exact same setup steps.
IMG_2909.jpg
Powered up but not set up yet for my router nor plugged into an Amiga generated a 'red alert' LED response.

First, obviously, you plug the modem into your serial port.

Next, you plug it into external power as the modem is powered via a built-in mini USB jack - exactly the same setup as the Paul Rickards modem.

Simply plug in a standard USB A to mini-B cable into any USB power jack that is capable of providing 100mA of power at 5v DC.

Immediately the modem will seek out your router but of course it won’t know where to look.

So you fire up an ASCII-capable terminal program. I used A-Talk III, which I describe here and you can download here. Here is the manual, in case you need that, too.

Once you launch your terminal program, you need to set its baud rate to 300, otherwise either your keyboard won’t work or it’ll spit out garbage characters.

After that, simply type
ATI

This will initialize the modem and after a few short moments you’ll see it tell you something similar to the following:
WiModem232 – (C)2017 By Jim Drew
Firmware:v1.1-08/06/16
Baud:300
SSID:No Router!
MAC:8C:F2:13:7F:CF:5D
IP:0.0.0.0

Next, you’ll need to seek out your wireless router.

Type:
AT*N

After a few seconds, a list of all of the available routers will be displayed. Assuming it sees yours, you’ll then attach to it (this is case sensitive!)

Type:
AT*SSID [name][,password]

Ex:

Code: Select all

AT*SSID MyNetworkName,Password0987
IMG_2910.jpg
Houston, all systems are a-GO.

There are other ways to go about this process, but this is how I did it and it instantly locked onto my home network. After that, it gets saved to the modem and you never need to mess with it again!

Once it is on your network, you can set your modem to faster speeds. It’s capable of very fast speeds, but I only use mine (currently) for BBS’ing, so I set my modem to 9600 which seems to be one of the most speedy and stable speeds I’ve run across.

To do this, type
AT*B [baud]

Ex:

Code: Select all

AT*B 9600 <RETURN>
Once that was done, I quickly typed in the address of one of my favorite boards and posted a quick message using this fantastic new piece of hardware! Many thanks to Jim for the early access as well as this wonderful, very solid new modem for the community. Highly recommended.

You can get yours here.

Note: There is a 3D printable enclosure that is currently in the design phase and the file will be released to the public soon after QA tests prove it to be ready for release.
IMG_2914.jpg
Top view

IMG_2917.jpg
Side view.

IMG_2918.jpg
bottom of WiModem232

Here are the specs from the CBMStuff.com product page:
  • WiModem232 is an internet modem for any computer with a RS-232 interface port that emulates a standard Hayes compatible modem. Just plug the WiModem232 into the "serial" port and connect to BBS's all over the world!
  • The WiModem232 requires access to your local router and supports easy WiFi setup, including WPS one-button setup!
  • Firmware updates are done using a simple command that fetches the latest firmware from the CBMSTUFF.COM server and updates the WiModem232 - all without ever having to remove the WiModem232 from your computer!
  • The WiModem232 hardware supports 300 baud to 115200 baud. Note: the terminal software you are using determines the maximum baud rate.
  • This version of the WiModem232 does not come with the OLED screen.
  • The WiModem232 requires external 5v power. Connect any 5v source (PC, phone charger, etc.) using a cable having a Mini-B type USB connector.
  • Unlike other WiFi solutions, the WiModem232 controls ALL of the standard RS-232 lines: Rx, Tx, RTS, CTS, DSR, DTR, DCD, and RI. This means that you can use the WiModem232 to run a BBS!
  • A DB25 to DB9 or RS-232 gender changer may be required for your particular computer. These are available separately. The WiModem232 uses a DB25 female connector (plugging into a DB25 male port)

JimDrew
LHC, AZ

Posted Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:36 pm

I shipped out a few dozen WiModem232's to the people that have been waiting since July. I am building a ton of them at the moment and will open the flood gates shortly for everyone else.

Orders from the website will come with v2.00 firmware (intric8 has v1.97). I am working on the actual manual (for v2.0 firmware) and that will be posted to the downloads page of my website (http://www.cbmstuff.com/downloads.htm). People who order from the website will get a note with the URL to the manual. Firmware upgrades are done using a simple AT command.

V2.00 firmware makes some changes to the WiModem commands and adds some new features, which are fully explained in the manual.

I have to make a change to the 3D printer files. There is no convenient way to take the case apart because it was designed to be glued together. However, that will be a problem for those that want to change the jumpers for different types of handshaking! So, I am changing the case so it can be screwed together using M2 self-tapping screws.

I have setup an area in my forums for the WiModem232. I would like to get feedback on every computer it is tested on. I have tested it on the A500, A1000, A2000, A2000 (w/Vampire 2), A3000, Tandy 100, and Tandy 102. I know that someone is currently testing it on a Apple II and a Coleco Adam.

http://www.cbmstuff.com/forum/

intric8, you will be able to upgrade your firmware shortly. I have a few things to test still before releasing it. Increase your baud rate! Your Amiga should be able to run 38400-57600 baud (depending on the screen depth) with serial.device. It makes a big difference in the experience. :)

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:03 am

JimDrew wrote:I shipped out a few dozen WiModem232's to the people that have been waiting since July.
How about those that have been waiting since July 2016? ;)

Edit: By the way, awesome review. Looking forward to being tether free on the A500. (No more NULL modem cable)
Last edited by Zippy Zapp on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:06 am

@Zippy Zapp he's just days away, if not sooner. Finishing touches.

Return to “Hardware”