Bulletdust

Posted Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:12 pm

One of the advantages of using an A1200 or an A500 with an ACA500, the ability to use a FAT32 formatted CF card to transfer data between PC and Amiga!

My C64 with 1541 UII+ is even better, I can transfer files to it directly using FTP!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:21 pm

McTrinsic:
PS isn't it time for a 'Part 3' in your series???
Hah! Only when I solve problems. Not when I find them. :)'

Bulletdust:
My C64 with 1541 UII
I have the UII for my C64 and I love it. One of the best "new wave" pieces of tech I've ever gotten for my C64 habit. It's not perfect, but it offers a TON of awesome.

Bulletdust

Posted Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:41 am

I have the UII for my C64 and I love it. One of the best "new wave" pieces of tech I've ever gotten for my C64 habit. It's not perfect, but it offers a TON of awesome.
I love it! what don't you find perfect about it?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:32 am

For CRT images, it is absolutely perfect. And for games that are based off a single image - also perfect. And frankly, that's hits most everything for me currently. I love being able to buy a brand new CRT-based game, downloading it and loading it onto the UII. It's cost effective and awesome.

The times I've run into issues is either multi-disk loading games and saving game states. That can get clunky and, to be honest, I'm happy to use my disk drives for those games anyway. I own most of the ones I ever want to play and they all work. 5.25 disks - for whatever reason - seem to last forever.

Bulletdust

Posted Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:17 pm

intric8 wrote:
For CRT images, it is absolutely perfect. And for games that are based off a single image - also perfect. And frankly, that's hits most everything for me currently. I love being able to buy a brand new CRT-based game, downloading it and loading it onto the UII. It's cost effective and awesome.

The times I've run into issues is either multi-disk loading games and saving game states. That can get clunky and, to be honest, I'm happy to use my disk drives for those games anyway. I own most of the ones I ever want to play and they all work. 5.25 disks - for whatever reason - seem to last forever.
I haven't had a problem with multi image games, I just mount the other virtual disk and away we go. However my saved games on Maniac Mansion keep corrupting, not too sure if that's a result of the .D64 or the UII+ though...

jamesyoung

Posted Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:40 pm

I've dug out a Phoenix A1000 and I'm watching your video on how to get the scsi working and you mentioned you couldn't find any copies of the drivers. I found some diskettes, do people already have a copy of them? Image

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:36 pm

Oh that's very cool. Some ADFs of those would be sweet! (If they exist somewhere, I'm not sure I've run across them - I'll need to double-check.) I was able to source some stuff back then from somewhere, but I've never seen the Phoenix-branded stickers like that. It's been a while since I've thought about this project. Need to remind my brain! Very very cool!

UPDATE:
I did say in the video back in 2018 that I didn't think the original Phoenix disks existed. But I had used some drivers I'd found on Aminet (from 1997!) that did the trick.

I would absolutely find your disks 100% fascinating to look through, however, if you ever image them.

Are the "Phoenix Board" disks different that the intriguing "Phoenix SCSI" disk?

jamesyoung

Posted Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:03 am

No clue of they are different - I'm stuck trying to get my scsi working. It currently tries to boot from the scsi when it's plugged in, even if a floppy is inserted. I'm currently trying to copy the drivers to the workbench disc so I can get it to show up. This phoenix has a DKB Insider and an ICD AdSpeed installed, not sure if that is affecting anything, might have to try my other phoenix. I will image the discs as soon as I can get the A1200 working because I've been having no luck with serial. How does L35 work?
Last edited by jamesyoung on Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:07 am

That sounds like a beast. I'm a big fan of the AdSpeed (when they actually work correctly). I saw your insider board back there, too.

It took me a while to get the dang scsi to work. This was the driver I used that worked for me. It was a PITA but that did the trick. Combination of that driver and HDInstTools.

jamesyoung

Posted Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:18 am

What's the jumper configuration you used to get scsi working - if L35 is installed, the system will try to read from the scsi but it will never boot, without L35 it doesn't detect the scsi

Return to “Hardware”