intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:44 pm

Yeah, no this is all very cool indeed. The key difference is with a switcher, you literally just flip a switch and turn the machine on and it's there. It's "instant". But I'm down with solutions like this, too. This reminds me a lot of the TwinKick program I found for the A1000, which I love. It's a very cool software solution I'll be checking out for sure.

Thanks for looking into it. Very cool stuff!

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:53 pm

The appeal of it is understood; but if you can't figure out the startup-sequence, you can still flip the switch, click a few buttons, and no need for a separate Workbench floppy to boot.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:09 pm

Plus... What I'm looking into is a great way to get your 2000 involved in the fun as well. Always figured the 1000 was unique with its kickstart disks allowing you to choose one or another; but it can actually be done with all of them if you've got the right tools.

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:28 am

Two things come to my mind:
- remove the ';' in the execute command line - might have a different meaning when used with execute

- check the flags of your new startup-sequences. They might not be executable depending on which program they were created with. I recall an issue when I wrote one of them on the Amiga and used TurboText. Unfortunately TT introduced line breaks after, say, 40 characters, leading to garbage. Might want to try Redit.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:59 am

Inspired by Shot's exploration of of multiple Kickstart software solutions on his 500, I had a thought last night.

I flipped over to KS 2.0 ROM on the Phoenix and mashed my mouse buttons.

For the first time (since using a 1200 running 3.1) I was confronted with a boot screen! It gives you the option to boot from a different partition!

But my boot screen is oddly incomplete. This is what it looked like at first blush:
IMG_4364.jpg
It only shows my floppy drive, and the DH0: drive. But I have 2 more partitions. Where are those? I clicked on the Advanced button. I saw this:
IMG_4365.jpg
Note how the machine doesn't "see" the boot priorities for the two new partitions. I think that may be exactly why they don't show up on the default boot-selection screen.

And I also think - this is my new theory - that this may be why the EXECUTE command is failing. It doesn't see DH1 and DH2 properly at an early stage in the SS, even though they exist. It seems this should be a fixable problem if I can assign new boot priorities to the other partitions. Really, I only need to assign DH2:, because that's where I installed WB 2.04.

What do you guys think? Can each partition be given their own boot priority? Or are DH1/DH2 "N/A" because they all live on the same drive?

McTrinsic

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:30 am

Each can be given its own boot priority. Did you make them autoboot??

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:32 am

@McTrinsic, yes. IIRC I did. I'll see about trying to assign them boot priorities. Hopefully I don't have to pull the card to do that. I'll look into it.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:39 pm

I ended up installing 2.4 onto my DH1: partition, which is normally the Games drive for Workbench 1.3 - I couldn't for the life of me get the built-in 2.4 install program to recognize ANY of my hard drives. Wouldn't see the drive, wanted me to prep them, can't see them to prep them... Maybe I could have done a low level format and had it find them that way, but I don't think so, and even if it did work, that's a whole lot more transferring of the old stuff back via serial cable later on.

One program pointed me to partition the drives using the software that came with the drive... It seems like 2.4 wants the partition to be a special 2.x name or something, that's a lot to go through and I didn't even know if it would work. So I first tried an old fashioned install. I copied all the Workbench 2.4 disks onto DH1: directly. I then clicked into the 2.4 ROM bootup menu and simply told it to boot from DH1:, and it worked beautifully.

I might try to tinker some more at a later date and see if I can't point it to a folder called WB2 on DH1 rather than having them all right in the root of the drive, but I think this is going to be just fine for me personally. I really was not interested in making a separate 2.4 partition when I wasn't going to be there that often. I gotta think it's all just a matter of persisting and pointing everything where it needs to go. As you pointed out the 2.4 boot menu didn't show your extra partitions for some reason, it showed all of my drives in the boot menu, but the installer couldn't see any of them which was odd... This stuff never goes exactly smoothly, and the program I use to kick the machine into 2.4 was kind of a pain to setup, and I had to figure it out all myself because nobody is talking about such things... But once you do get it all setup, it's all very simple doings at that point.

-edit- I'll take a look at my advanced menu and see where my boot priorities are... Looking at yours I believe they are vastly different than what mine are set to.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:16 pm

DSCN5026.JPG
There's mine, if it happens to help... Although does not seem like you can change priority from that screen itself. I'd try to disable some of the drives, just leaving DH2: enabled and see if that causes anything to change.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:14 pm

Using HDInstTools I can change the boot priorities accordingly. I remember having this discussion with you a year ago! I think I'm close. Will get into it later tonight.

Return to “Hardware”