intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:01 pm

OK that was quick!

I loaded WB 1.3 and opened HDInstTools. I went to DH2: and edited the partition. The drive was not set to bootable. I quickly changed that. I also changed the boot priority to load last, but that setting did not take. I think I need to delete the partition and rebuild it for that setting to take effect.
IMG_4369.jpg

But as it stands right now, I don't think it even matters. Simply making the drive bootable appears to be all I need for the Amiga to see it during launch. Behold when I flip my KS switch and boot 2.04, with 2 mouse buttons pressed:
IMG_4373.jpg
Why hello DH2. Where've you been hiding, you dork! I kept DH1 un-bootable, as I don't see the need right now. And the boot priority being the same as DH0 isn't hurting a thing as the drive numbers ultimately take over.

And after selecting DH2 from the boot menu, it goes directly to that partition which I've allocated 22MB for WB 2.04 "stuff". I am so STOKED! I can finally finish some of these other projects I had to put on hold until I had a nice comfortable 2.0 solution without jumping through hoops.

I will try the startup sequence approach one last time. But if it doesn't work? I don't care so much anymore. Pressing two mouse buttons down to pick a drive to launch seems pretty elegant on its own, and realistically only adds a couple seconds to my boot-up now. Big friggin' deal!

But I will try the SS one more time, as that would be epic if it worked.
IMG_4374.jpg
Everything looks exactly as it should! How sweet it is.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:11 pm

Congrats! The startup sequence flick of a switch way would certainly be cool, but I could see the headache that was causing... I can't help but search out the only slightly less elegant ways to do things but the thousand times less stressful ones.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:37 pm

Yay! Yay for an Amiga OS that breaks games and software I love!! Wait... hang on a second. :P

Seriously, though. There are a handful of apps that I do want to run that now I finally can. Thanks for triggering that memory of using mouse-buttons to get to that 2.04 boot screen! That helped a ton and had totally slipped my mind. Boom!

Now even if my SS experiment fails, I don't care! This works. PROGRESS!

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:11 am

Curious, what is kickstart 2.4? I have not heard of this version. Is this a beta or something? I thought 2.1 was the last before they moved to 3.0. But who knows I have missed a lot of things before... ;)

EDIT: After looking at the video I think you mean 2.04?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:16 am

@ZippyZapp I think Shot means 2.04.

I have KS ROM 2.04. There was a 2.05 made as well.

As for Workbench, there was 2.0, 2.04, 2.05, 2.1.

I have disks for 2.04 and 2.1. I thought I had 2.05 floating around somewhere, too, which some say they prefer. IIRC the only difference between 2.04 and future versions was support for PCMCIA cards and whatnot.

The way KS and WB is separated can get confusing at times.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:58 am

I have the least experience with 2.x operating systems. I grew up with Kickstart 1.2, Workbench 1.2, and Workbench 1.3 hooked onto Kickstart 1.2

In the emulation days I went straight to 3.1 as it was the newest version.

I make no qualms about not caring enough to get that kind of stuff down, I'm about showing what nobody else cares about, Workbench 1.3

In the video I go back/forth between 2.3 and 2.4 over and over again. I used to just say 2.0 all the time but somebody got anal because there never was a 2.0

From what I've been reading up on, the 2.x Workbench is really no different than the 3.x ones, other than the latter's AGA support. So in terms of the shareware/freeware power user stuff available on Aminet, it should pretty much all work on 2.x -

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:25 pm

By the way @ZippyZapp, nice new user avatar you're sportin' there. :)

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:15 pm

Ok I am glad I didn't miss anything cool. Heh. Yeah I remember buying KS 2.04 when it was released, and yeah I remember asking the dealer why 2.04 and not 2.0. hehe Apparently Commodore made last minute changes. I still have the whole package with the binder and the disks. I liked the 3 whole binder docs much better than the straight book type documents that my 2.1 set has. The only thing I don't still have is the little box the ROM came in. IIRC I had to cut a wire that came installed on the top of the ROM to be compatible with the Rev 5 and earlier A500s. Mine at the time happened to be a Rev 6 which did not need the jumper wire.
By the way @ZippyZapp, nice new user avatar you're sportin' there. :)
Yeah I got tired of looking at the other one. This is from the top of a 1541, IIRC.

Return to “Hardware”