TheGoose

Posted Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:51 pm

Just wanted to share my ups and downs with my A3000 clock. I was able to repair it, and get it working, holding the time. BUT, only for a few days really with the CR2032 route.

I really think these fall past the needed voltage the RICOH chip needs, pretty quick. I have concluded the 3V and the small mAh it probably has just doesn't suit this circuit.

So one last ditch move and experiment, I got a 3.6v lithium rechargeable and charger coming. See if this makes any improvement. Some pics:

Photo 1
Photo 2

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:44 pm

I have read of others that had the same problem. I think there is a great variance in the chips, which is why some can tolerate the lower voltage then others. The Diode used in the CR2032 conversion circuit also drops a bit of voltage too.

Other options that I have thought about doing are, as you are doing a 3.6v rechargeable that could attach via wires to the battery connection, or even pin header connections so it can be unplugged if needed. You could also use one of the original batteries with wires soldered to the terminals and it could be off the motherboard that way. They are still manufacturing those leak prone barrel batteries. But as long as it is not on the motherboard and it is replaced every 5 years I think it is an option.

Another option could be the same battery that powers many Macintosh models RTC and PRAM. They are 3.6v and of course you would have to disable the charge circuit on those too.

The others that i have seen have been 3.6v cordless phone batteries. They apparently will charge from the Amiga's charging circuit, NIMH batteries.

Return to “Hardware”