McTrinsic

Posted Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:42 pm

Those FastRAM expansions that don't have autoconfig should work but of course I cant guarantee this.
In any case it would be really slow if you wanted to use these with an ACA.

Bulletdust

Posted Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:11 pm

McTrinsic wrote:Those FastRAM expansions that don't have autoconfig should work but of course I cant guarantee this.
In any case it would be really slow if you wanted to use these with an ACA.
Which is one of the reasons I don't use my A500 that much anymore...

With the A1200, everything is just so easy. Plug the accelerator into the bottom trapdoor, install an Indivision, install a CF HDD with your desired OS and away you go! All tidy, very compact (important for me and my little desk), super reliable and runs everything I throw at it in this day of WHDload.

I've still got a soft spot for my A500, but the A1200 is my first choice for a daily driver. Having said that, the addition of fast ram under the processor of the A500 couldn't have as much of an effect as interfacing an 030 to the 16 bit bus - Under certain circumstances I'd have to say it ran half as fast as a standard 7Mhz 68000!

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:00 pm

leighb2282 wrote:my question is if you add this to the 68000 slot but use a separate accelerator card )using the CPU slot in an A2000) will it still register the 8meg of ram? I'm unsure if it still looks at the original CPU if you run a CPU card in the 2000's expansion slot for an accelerator.
MKL offers several different cpld .jed files you could use to reprogram the cpld to suit your needs on the revision board posted above. You can config-in, config-out or have the board require manual addmem, which is probably what would be required to use with the Phoenix.

http://mkl211015.altervista.org/ram68k/

jdryyz

Posted Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:32 pm

So would it be possible with the right config setting to have access to 8MB from this board and any RAM on a A2091 card or would there still be a conflict?

I know there is an IDE option available with this 68000 RAM solution but it would require Kickstart 2.x or above I believe.

I'm trying to determine if I should abandon my A2091 in favor of these modern options. Currently my card has no Fast RAM and it probably makes more sense to put the $$ for RAM elsewhere. It would be nice to keep the SCSI for a CD-ROM drive though.

A10001986

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:27 am

It is pointless to even try to use this in a big box such as the A2000. The auto config logic would be completely messed up. You wouldn't be able to run any zorro 2 auto-config boards any more, and thereby in essence reduce your a2000 into an a500.

It works in the Phoenix but only if no other auto config devices (such as the onboard-SCSI) are present resp. all those are disabled. I did that in my '91 Phoenix because the Phoenix's SCSI is dead slow and in general crap (drive size limit), so I run one of MKLs RAM+IDE combos with a patched 1.3 and 2.05+. No problems (I don't use any other auto config, nor the z2 slot, etc).

Yes, there is a way to use a gayle-compatible IDE controller with 1.3, see this link.

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:18 am

I have a 128GB mSD attached to the Phoenix - what limit are you referring to? There are rom updates available ... :)

In any case I agree that the big advantage of the big box Amigas such as the A2000 to be expandable. Keep the 2091. Maybe get a Buddha New Edition.

A10001986

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:00 am

The Phoenix ROM version j only supports SCSI-Read/Write(6), limiting the hdd size to 1GB. It is the latest Phoenix ROM I know of, apart from the DMA hacks. Do they support Read/Write(10) or more?

McTrinsic

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:54 am

Hi,

yes, as mentioned above I have a 128GB attached to the Phoenix with the DMA-hack. There is a newer driver with hack and one without. Maybe even the one without hack works.

You still need you first partition smaller than 1GB and within the first GB.

A10001986

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:21 am

You're probably referring to Loew's pbscsi from aminet. Never bothered to test it, it's not ROMable (without hacking around, which isn't worth the effort IMHO)

End of OT, promise ;)

jdryyz

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:36 am

For the Buddha recommendation, wouldn't that just be another potential autoconfig conflict with the 8MB expansion? I realize the Buddha IDE has advantages over the A2091 but maybe not if it too cannot coexist with the 8MB module.

Return to “Hardware”