Deimoxx

Posted Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:55 pm

I have owned this since the mid 90's. Swapped it for a Pentium II 233 CPU :). With all the interest lately I thought I would drag it out and maybe give it a few upgrades. It only has single kickstart roms but I have plenty of spares and I am looking at adding VGA output as my old CRT is getting a little noisy, I think its going to die soon.

Here are some pics.
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg

McTrinsic

Posted Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:29 pm

Awesome!
That Pentium sure wouldn't be as great a machine as this one :) .
With some love and patience, this beauty can really shine.
You're from Europe I guess?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:37 pm

Very cool indeed!

This is the first time I've seen pictures (that I remember) of the actual heat shield cut out using the supplied paper pattern for an original mechanical HDD. Which size is your HDD?

I assume you're auto-booting WB 1.3 off that internal drive?

Have to say - I'm pretty impressed with how clean that motherboard is, and how pristine the case appears in the photos. quite a gem.

Does your original floppy drive make contact with your ROM chip?

Deimoxx

Posted Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:42 pm

I am from Australia. The unit is booting from the SCSI HDD, WB 1.3 . The drive is 105MB I believe. The floppy doesn't touch the chips but I
think if I added more it would. looks super close.

If anyone has suggestions for adding VGA I would love to hear them.

McTrinsic

Posted Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:54 am

You should get a Flickerfixer/Scandoubler for internal
mounting. Best option in my view is an Indivision ECS. They are currently out of stock at icomp, but expected to get a new production run.
An older alternative would be the ICD Flickerfree Video 2.

There is a DIY-graphics card available that might be sourced on Amibay every once in a while.

The graphics card would not solve the issue of getting native screen modes to VGA anyways.

I asked about 'Europe' because the American A1k cases didn't have 'Commodore' on them...

Deimoxx

Posted Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:16 am

Thanks for the advice. My monitor blew up about 20 mins after I posted that it was sounding funny. Sadly I’m using a A520 now which looks horrible.

Bulletdust

Posted Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:42 pm

The monitor's most likely a failed flyback transformer and HOT power transistor, a fairly easy fix - Just respect the very high voltages generated by the flyback and be sure to discharge it correctly.

There's an electronics supplier in Sydney that sells everything you need.

Return to “Hardware”