EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:22 pm

leighb2282 wrote:So I get what part of that is doing - its moving the 68k CPU back and to the left inside the case (and i'm guessing if I wanted to initially I could literally just use the circuit board so I can get one of the 8Mb boards and mount the RAM and CPU on this to avoid clearance issues?)
If all you have is the RAM board, you don't need to shift the socket. It fits just fine and doesn't bother the floppy drive (barely.) The IDE board also made by MKL stacks on top of the RAM board and creates a situation where the combined boards are too tall to fit under the floppy's rear, plus the IDE connector doesn't fit at all.

MKL sells the IDE and RAM boards on this page. I believe he has even begun offering a board that combines the RAM and IDE one a single board!
leighb2282 wrote:The second chip socket is for the kickstart ROM? does someone NEED to add and utilize the Kickstart stuff or can I just use this to move my CPU & RAM slightly away from the FDD?
Yes, it is for any 256K/512K Kickstart ROM or 27C400 EPROM. The kickstart ROM is optional, the board should work as only a relocator if you don't put anything else there. Note that accelerators such as the TF530 must have a Kickstart ROM to function in an Amiga 1000.

Tectron
Indiana

Posted Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:12 pm

I love this board, This is what I really wanted when I bought my kickstart switcher, but at the time the switcher was all that was available. If you don't mind me asking, what firmware are you running on the 530? I have a TF530 that I built but haven't tried since I was under the impression that there was a A1000 timing issue of some sort, but obviously its working on yours.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:06 pm

@EzdineG, I was asked this question elsewhere I wonder if you might know the answer?
What happens to the 256k mem that was used for kick start? does that just disappear? Can it be pulled out? I have one that is bad and this would really help in getting a couple systems up and running.

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:29 pm

Tectron wrote:I love this board, This is what I really wanted when I bought my kickstart switcher, but at the time the switcher was all that was available. If you don't mind me asking, what firmware are you running on the 530? I have a TF530 that I built but haven't tried since I was under the impression that there was a A1000 timing issue of some sort, but obviously its working on yours.
I'm running the RC2 firmware, which is required to utilize the ISSI RAM on my board.

The comment about timing issues was just a stab in the dark by Stephen; I don't believe he's got a working A1000 to test in yet. Some were convinced it was the bootstrap code on the existing A1000 ROMs was just not compatible with any more than a 68010, which seems to be what the problem was.

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:32 pm

intric8 wrote:@EzdineG, I was asked this question elsewhere I wonder if you might know the answer?
What happens to the 256k mem that was used for kick start? does that just disappear? Can it be pulled out? I have one that is bad and this would really help in getting a couple systems up and running.
When we pull pin 17 from U6J, it effectively disables the WCS RAM. I know there were other Kickstart adapters that allowed you to keep the WCS and add it to your RAM via the addmem command, but vaguely recall having to replace some circuits on the WCS portion of the daughterboard to accomplish this. Not worth it for 256K, IMO.

Anyway, the answer is that the WCS RAM should end up disabled with this mod. I saw an old clockmeister image that showed he had physically sawed the WCS portion off the daughter board after performing a similar mod.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:45 pm

OK, thanks EzdineG

Tectron
Indiana

Posted Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:56 pm

EzdineG wrote:
Tectron wrote:I love this board, This is what I really wanted when I bought my kickstart switcher, but at the time the switcher was all that was available. If you don't mind me asking, what firmware are you running on the 530? I have a TF530 that I built but haven't tried since I was under the impression that there was a A1000 timing issue of some sort, but obviously its working on yours.
I'm running the RC2 firmware, which is required to utilize the ISSI RAM on my board.

The comment about timing issues was just a stab in the dark by Stephen; I don't believe he's got a working A1000 to test in yet. Some were convinced it was the bootstrap code on the existing A1000 ROMs was just not compatible with any more than a 68010, which seems to be what the problem was.
Thanks for the info, I plugged my rev 3 530 in this morning to give it a shot and it wouldn't post (black screen), I tried with 1.3 and 2.04 selected. I didn't have time to poke around with it much though. The firmware is one of the earlier ones that I used just to confirm that the clpd's would take the code, so that's probably my first problem.

leighb2282

Posted Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:11 pm

BTW do you have any boards left? I would like to purchase one from you if you do.

Thanks

Tectron
Indiana

Posted Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:57 am

Tectron wrote:
EzdineG wrote:

Thanks for the info, I plugged my rev 3 530 in this morning to give it a shot and it wouldn't post (black screen), I tried with 1.3 and 2.04 selected. I didn't have time to poke around with it much though. The firmware is one of the earlier ones that I used just to confirm that the clpd's would take the code, so that's probably my first problem.
Duh, It just occurred to me that I totally forgot the need to hook up the INT2/ORV wires, that's actually my first problem. lol

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:51 am

leighb2282 wrote:BTW do you have any boards left? I would like to purchase one from you if you do.

Thanks
Several.

Send me a pm with your address and I’ll get it out to you ASAP.

Return to “Hardware”