intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:14 pm

FWIW. I consider my own 2000 near-mint. And both of my floppies are slightly different colors. One is the original drive, and the other was a secondary put in after it was originally purchased - by the original owner. The drives are a slight beige, more like the metal part of the case and not the hot chocolate color. Honestly they are closer to the plastic housing for the power/activity lights.
Attachments
IMG_3999.jpg
IMG_4002.jpg

leighb2282

Posted Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:21 pm

intric8 wrote:FWIW. I consider my own 2000 near-mint. And both of my floppies are slightly different colors. One is the original drive, and the other was a secondary put in after it was originally purchased - by the original owner. The drives are a slight beige, more like the metal part of the case and not the hot chocolate color. Honestly they are closer to the plastic housing for the power/activity lights.
I will also add that if you are looking for a matching CD-ROM drive that is a massive non-starter, I have NEVER seen an optical drive that matches - most you will find are either PC beige, Black or Grey like mine :(

tastemakerChuck

Posted Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:27 pm

thanks for the battery heads up and upgrade suggestions, @leighb2282! I am pretty sure this battery was somewhat recently replaced, as the gent I got it from said it was working and holding the date and time, but I will look into the upgrade @intric8 suggested on AmigaKit... has anyone done the upgrade with that kit? is it a drop in replacement? meaning do I just unsolder the old battery mount and solder this kit one on?

thanks also the the suggestions for not to costly upgrades, I will look into those.

as for the keyboard color and case cover, I went out and got some Krud Kutter tonight and will start with cleaning everything with that tomorrow... the keyboard is slightly yellow and the front of the case is brown, but definitely has a bit of a yellow cast in some light... not sure, I'll see what it looks like when I have scrubbed it a bit. I also wonder how difficult it would be to remove all the keycaps and giving them a good scrubbing...

oh, and that monitor list is great also, thank you!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:04 pm

More on the coin battery upgrade - yes, it's an unsolder and re-solder job.
the front of the case is brown
That's precisely the right color. It came that way. You've got a good looking machine!

leighb2282

Posted Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:36 pm

I Personally did the coin cell battery replacement and I believe Intric8 did as well, it is a literal unsolde rhte old battery and replac it with the new coin cell harness!

The first upgrade I did (when I bought my A2000 is was completely stock bare single floppy drive, no HDD model)
was the A2052 RAM board and it made a WORLD of difference with just had alone if you want to start small and work your way up.

One thing to keep in mind is for the Zorro II bus that the A2000 uses that 8MB is the maximum auto-configurable RAM it can handle, if you get some fancy accelerator you may handle to use additional tools to get the rest configured.
tastemakerChuck wrote:thanks for the battery heads up and upgrade suggestions, @leighb2282! I am pretty sure this battery was somewhat recently replaced, as the gent I got it from said it was working and holding the date and time, but I will look into the upgrade @intric8 suggested on AmigaKit... has anyone done the upgrade with that kit? is it a drop in replacement? meaning do I just unsolder the old battery mount and solder this kit one on?

thanks also the the suggestions for not to costly upgrades, I will look into those.

as for the keyboard color and case cover, I went out and got some Krud Kutter tonight and will start with cleaning everything with that tomorrow... the keyboard is slightly yellow and the front of the case is brown, but definitely has a bit of a yellow cast in some light... not sure, I'll see what it looks like when I have scrubbed it a bit. I also wonder how difficult it would be to remove all the keycaps and giving them a good scrubbing...

oh, and that monitor list is great also, thank you!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:44 pm

FWIW I have a ton of card RAM (from Back in the Day) and they all configure themselves, and show up at 15MB. I didn't do anything special...

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:51 pm

Here's my big girl A2000 under normal lighting conditions. I think she looks perfect. The grousing over the floppy drives plastic color is wasted energy IMO. Under these lighting conditions, she is a mighty queen in my eyes.
Attachments
IMG_4044.jpg
This is what she looked like tonight right after disconnecting from BBS'ing. Perf

leighb2282

Posted Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:57 pm

intric8 wrote:FWIW I have a ton of card RAM (from Back in the Day) and they all configure themselves, and show up at 15MB. I didn't do anything special...
Really? I could never get anything to register over 8Mb, even with 10Mb of ram (2x 2MB Commodore A2052 boards, A2091 with 2MB Ram and a GVP accelerator with 4MB) it still only showed 8MB so i'm kinda jealous!

tastemakerChuck

Posted Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:19 pm

I'm not worried about the brown, I am worried about the yellow in the brown. ;)

In any case, I will scrub it down tomorrow and see what happens, I am not too worried about it at the moment, but I do want to give it all a good cleaning, I think it's been in a storage unit for a number of years.

I did confirm that the battery is brand new, so there is that, but I will still look at replacing it in the near future.

I am excited to get this up and running and then tinker and learn!

@leighb2282: yes, I had read that about the bus, I am not sure how much ram space the TF530 takes... so it is using the zorro II bus in that CPU slot?

leighb2282

Posted Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:25 pm

OLDER accelerators did not take advantage of the separate memory bus that the CPU slot provided and instead included it in the Zorro II memory space, how will that new card do that? I don't know, I've honestly not looked into anything new being honest -
all my upgrades currently are 'period correct' so to speak. best thing to do would be to ask the makers of that board!
tastemakerChuck wrote:I'm not worried about the brown, I am worried about the yellow in the brown. ;)

In any case, I will scrub it down tomorrow and see what happens, I am not too worried about it at the moment, but I do want to give it all a good cleaning, I think it's been in a storage unit for a number of years.

I did confirm that the battery is brand new, so there is that, but I will still look at replacing it in the near future.

I am excited to get this up and running and then tinker and learn!

@leighb2282: yes, I had read that about the bus, I am not sure how much ram space the TF530 takes... so it is using the zorro II bus in that CPU slot?

Return to “Hardware”