leighb2282

Posted Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:39 am

Wow, those are totally different to the switches on my A2000 keyboard, so i'm not sure what I have (unless Cherry BITD made different looking switches to what they do today? mine has black switches with a little pale blue shafty bit (technical term!) with a square hole in the middle of that shaft, along with a pale blue rubbery 'grommet' which sits between the body of the switch and the keycap) with no visible spring.
tastemakerChuck wrote:no, those are all valid springs from different type switches, the long one is just the spring type used in my keyboard.

This site: https://deskthority.net/wiki/Hi-Tek_Series_725 is where the info is coming from.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:45 am

@Leigh I have a feeling, as the 2000 was made from 1987-1990, that there may have been more than 1 version across that time.

If we could figure out what our individual springs are (length + compression 'gradient') we might be able source some from China, though.

I know my 1000's springs are totally different, too. More like modern (expensive) mechanical keyboards, where they are short and fat springs for things like the spacebar, etc.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:57 am

@tastemakerChuck I've found a lot more here, too. But again, no idea which 'g' to source. The keywords I used were simply "SPRINGS" and I got a ton of results back.

tastemakerChuck

Posted Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:42 pm

It occurred to me after some research that it will probably we easier to find replacement switches and then harvest the correct springs from them... so I am pursuing that angle at the moment :)

in other news I got a nice little Noctua replacement fan for the power supply, fits really nicely... 1800rpm and 17.1dB/A... unfortunately it has a little four pin connector that isn't compatible with the 3 pin power connector on the power supply board, so I have ordered an adapter to hook it into one of the open molex connectors coming from the power supply... so hopefully that will work and I'll be able to hear how quiet it is next week... still no display so I am fussing with keyboards and fans and such.

I also ordered a Super Denise 8373 R4 to put me more in the ECS realm, already having a 1mb 8372A Agnus... not sure this is necessary but I think it will give me some slightly higher resolution options and it's something to tinker with... it's not here yet but I will have to pull the psu/drive sled when it comes and learn to pull chips!
psuUncovered.jpg
newFan.jpg

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:11 pm

Very cool. And I totally understand wanting to swap fans with something a bit more modern. These fans can sound like an A/C unit or furnace at full blast at times. It's pretty shocking really the first time I set up an A1000 next to my 2000. You can't even hear the 1000's fan. The 2000? Freaking hair dryer!

Anyway, I did a post on that swap a while back. The fan I picked up - for $10 - is the Enermax UC-8EB. It's a perfect fit and has the 3-female plug. Night and day difference. I'm sure yours will be very similar.
IMG_4073.jpg
IMG_4074.jpg
IMG_4075.jpg
Interestingly as an added bonus, the fan I got also came with an adapter in the box for normal old-school power plugs, just in case. Really nice for $10 with "free" shipping.

I got a monster PSU replacement called the Big Foot which I plan to install soon. Before I do I'm going to put this extra fan inside. So I'll have a ton of extra juice plus a really quiet ride. :)

I think you're going to be VERY pleased with your new fan upgrade. For sure.

ACLerok

Posted Fri May 04, 2018 12:12 pm

tastemakerChuck wrote:It occurred to me after some research that it will probably we easier to find replacement switches and then harvest the correct springs from them... so I am pursuing that angle at the moment :)

in other news I got a nice little Noctua replacement fan for the power supply, fits really nicely... 1800rpm and 17.1dB/A... unfortunately it has a little four pin connector that isn't compatible with the 3 pin power connector on the power supply board, so I have ordered an adapter to hook it into one of the open molex connectors coming from the power supply... so hopefully that will work and I'll be able to hear how quiet it is next week... still no display so I am fussing with keyboards and fans and such.

I also ordered a Super Denise 8373 R4 to put me more in the ECS realm, already having a 1mb 8372A Agnus... not sure this is necessary but I think it will give me some slightly higher resolution options and it's something to tinker with... it's not here yet but I will have to pull the psu/drive sled when it comes and learn to pull chips!
Did you do anything with the caps in your PSU? In the picture of the internals, the single cap next to the copper tubing looks like it's bulging a little bit. My 2000's PSU has a cap that looks exactly like yours does. I was going to just change them all, but I'm not sure that I need to if that's just the way they all look.

TomCorbett

Posted Mon May 07, 2018 6:16 pm

I am not new to Amigas, but am a noob to Amiga hardware. I still have my original A500, tho the A501 clock card cap bit the dust and caused a lot of problem getting it started as I did not know the clock backup batteries were such killer corrosion problems. My GVP HD add on also quit functioning as a hard drive, memory still works. I have 2 A2000 computers, one functional and one not functioning. For the monitor needs, I found a very nice and inexpensive SCART to HDMI on Amazon, (with upscaling to 1080P), and an Amiga video to SCART cable (AMIGAKIT makes one) and thus you can use any monitor you want that has HDMI input. I am using a Samsung 32 inch TV monitor which works great with my A2000 or my A500) that seems like a good way to go unless you want the retro CRT look (I have a 1084 monitor but 13 inch CRT is not much to look at). A Hard Drive is a good first card, some have memory on them or you can use any of several memory cards. For internet I heard of a card called IIRC the X-Surf 100, but don't know much about it. As for looks, your machine looks ultra clean, and not really in need of cleaning. Your one Floppy (right hand one, DF0:) is the default Amiga color, the other (DF1:) looks to be an off white color style. I thought that the TF530 accelerator card was for the A500, don't know if it will fit the A2000. There are other things that could be discussed, but I'm running out of time, (and breath, too long a post). Tom

Return to “Hardware”