TheGoose

Posted Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:42 pm

Well, I got in the 4.7K Ohm resistor tonight and finished things up. @EzdineG - it booted right up, like quick to the ROM screen - you are bit of a genius - it's design / placement is really good. I made some videos, they kind of suck but maybe share here.

I have the 68K 8Mb / IDE adaptor too now, so look into that next. Old computers are FUN !
68k-rom1.png
bench_210957.png
wb-1.3.png

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:32 am

TheGoose wrote:Well, I got in the 4.7K Ohm resistor tonight and finished things up. @EzdineG - it booted right up, like quick to the ROM screen - you are bit of a genius - it's design / placement is really good. I made some videos, they kind of suck but maybe share here.

I have the 68K 8Mb / IDE adaptor too now, so look into that next. Old computers are FUN !
Fantastic! Thanks for the kind words and feedback. I'd be very much interested in those videos of the machine in action. I'd also like to see exactly what configuration you go with after the MKL 8MB+IDE boards are installed.

At the moment I'm using the lowest end ClassicWB + Workbench 1.3 icon and color scheme on an 8GB SD card. I've recently picked up a WIModem232 and am having a go at the available BBS's out there using the A-Talk III download and the guide by @Shot97 (thanks for that!)

It's great to experience these computers today expanded like we couldn't afford to when they were new ;) Let's see where we can collectively take these.

TheGoose

Posted Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:41 am

I have seen some bugs / gurus, I'm pretty sure this is easy to blame on some bad connections on the socket risers I hacked together. Those have been very intermittent - sign of a flaky connection.

I was able to load up and watch EAs "Kaleidoscope" for a little bit. I'll follow up...

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:01 am

TheGoose wrote:I have seen some bugs / gurus, I'm pretty sure this is easy to blame on some bad connections on the socket risers I hacked together. Those have been very intermittent - sign of a flaky connection.

I was able to load up and watch EAs "Kaleidoscope" for a little bit. I'll follow up...
Funny you mention that. I sent @intric8 a completed board, but used cheap eBay pin headers on the CPU socket like these (all I had left)
lXhyd.jpg
... and his board wouldn't post.
It looks like they're good for maybe 3-4 insertions, as they did indeed still work while being tested here. I have also since had to replace sets of these on A500 motherboards where I'd destroyed the CPU socket while testing several builds of TF530 accelerators.

Have a look at Keir Frazier's Github and download SYSTEST. You can get it in either bootable ADF image or direct executable you can copy to disk. WIth it you can test your RAM, CPU, CIA's, etc. to try and narrow down what may be ailing your A1000 while keeping that flash adapter installed. There's also DIAGROM, but you'd be taking it and the Kickstart version you're running out of the equation. I've never tested with anything other than genuine Kickstart ROMs and EEPROMS; maybe we need to pull up the address lines on that flash adapter?

Let me know!

Good luck!

TheGoose

Posted Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:21 pm

I did try the ADF for testing and everything is checking out - thanks. Now with the 8MB RAM and IDE added on (MKL v402), I have no problems with the RAM but the IDE interface is not recognized. I hooked up the /INT2 and the /OVR wires, but still no go. Hmm.

I wonder if it is this Hyperion FLASH ROM? It did come with a fix for IDE, maybe I should just try a regular 3.1 ROM?
http://hyperion-entertainment.biz/index ... ktop-amiga

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Yhv2QfED1RWl9m5g1

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:53 am

TheGoose wrote: I have no problems with the RAM but the IDE interface is not recognized. I hooked up the /INT2 and the /OVR wires, but still no go. Hmm.
I wonder if it is this Hyperion FLASH ROM? It did come with a fix for IDE, maybe I should just try a regular 3.1 ROM?
The Hyperion flash ROM has an oddball scsi.device that I have yet to see tested with the IDE68K. Your best bet is to try a standard 3.1 image to see if it is at least detected, because incompatibility with your chosen CF adapter could also cause the controller to flake. There is a program on aminet you can use to modify a standard 1.3 kickstart to use the scsi.device out of a 2.05+ ROM, if you want to keep it classic.

Let me know how it goes.

TheGoose

Posted Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:15 am

Yeah, chatted with MKL today and he is getting a Hyperion ROM and I've already ordered a regular one from AmigaKit, so with testing, answers for good or bad should be known soon.

TheGoose

Posted Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:52 pm

So, latest idea on my IDE not being recognized is not about the GGLabs FLASH ROM (that's good news). I tested with other 'normal' ROMs too, issue remained. MKL posted that there may be a cpld problem with my board with A1000.

So, I'm not sure about how to update that, I'll just message with him. Anyone ever update cpld files on the IDE68K V402 ?

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Wed May 02, 2018 6:27 am

TheGoose wrote:So, latest idea on my IDE not being recognized is not about the GGLabs FLASH ROM (that's good news). I tested with other 'normal' ROMs too, issue remained. MKL posted that there may be a cpld problem with my board with A1000.

So, I'm not sure about how to update that, I'll just message with him. Anyone ever update cpld files on the IDE68K V402 ?
Yes, I've updated both the 8MB expansion and the IDE. The initial 8MB wouldn't work with anything but "certain" A500 motherboards; the initial IDE releases wouldn't work with most CF cards. I do see on his for sale page that he's identified potential lproblems with A1000 and A2000A boards and his latest cores.

If you still haven't figured out the programming, send me a PM. Worst case scenario is I can program it for you if you don't have the hardware.

LMK

TheGoose

Posted Wed May 02, 2018 8:39 am

Well that would really great if you could update the CPLD for me - I got a cheap interface coming but maybe just skip that.

Return to “Hardware”