Doma

Posted Thu May 31, 2018 11:02 am

I am trying this out for the first time.

Finally replace the old 20mb HDD with the SCSI2SD. Got a memory card in it and it shows up in HD Toolbox in workbench.

Cannot seem to low-level format nor access the drive though.

Anyone got an experience with this?

Anything I need to do to be able to format it and access it in WB?
Sorry about the pics. Taking photos of CRT is not always easy.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu May 31, 2018 11:16 am

I have gone through this process a few times. The SCSI2SD will indeed work very well with workbench 1.3, but it's a bit of a cumbersome process the first time.

This is something I've been meaning to make as a "How To" article for some time. I am at work at the moment, so I do hope to offer more detail later, but from a high-level:

I use HDInstTool instead. (I have mine set to English. IIRC it was set to German and I had to change it, and saved it this way.) With HDInstTool it will see your drive, and you can partition and format it as you wish.

By the way, what size SD card are you using? I've found smaller cards are much more responsive and take far less time to boot in non-accelerated Amigas, which is very nice.

I assume the SCIS2SD will be your only drive in the machine. Be sure to check the "bootable" option, too.

Are you re-using the scsi.amhd driver?

HDInstTool has been the ticket for me.

Doma

Posted Thu May 31, 2018 11:41 am

intric8 wrote:I have gone through this process a few times. The SCSI2SD will indeed work very well with workbench 1.3, but it's a bit of a cumbersome process the first time.

This is something I've been meaning to make as a "How To" article for some time. I am at work at the moment, so I do hope to offer more detail later, but from a high-level:

I use HDInstTool instead. (I have mine set to English. IIRC it was set to German and I had to change it, and saved it this way.) With HDInstTool it will see your drive, and you can partition and format it as you wish.

By the way, what size SD card are you using? I've found smaller cards are much more responsive and take far less time to boot in non-accelerated Amigas, which is very nice.

I assume the SCIS2SD will be your only drive in the machine. Be sure to check the "bootable" option, too.

Are you re-using the scsi.amhd driver?

HDInstTool has been the ticket for me.
Thanks for the reply! I have not tried HDInstTool as I dont have it on disk. Is there an adf of a disk with it somewhere? I find that easiest to get it over to my Amiga.

The card thats in the scsi2hd is a 2GB card.

As for the "scsi.amhd " I have no idea what that is at the moment. :D

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu May 31, 2018 11:50 am

It's a stand-alone program, so you don't need an ADF. If you have an Amiga formatted disk, it can live within a folder on that disk and you can use it from there.

However, that file on Aminet is in LHA format, which would have to be "un-LHA'd" to unpack it and use it. I understand why they did that back in the day when bandwidth had a $ value attached to it. These days it's kind of a nuisance at times just to use a program. However! IIRC if you have a PC, I think you can use WinRAR to unpack an LHA file, too, and move those extracted files to your formatted Amiga disk.

If you have a ton of trouble, I can shoot you the file later tonight (it's only noon here at the moment).

Doma

Posted Thu May 31, 2018 12:21 pm

Hey

I think I found the program you mentioned. Its atleast called HDInstTools 6.9

I also plugged the SCSI2HD card into my PC to prep it and did the same settings as these guys:
https://hschid.wordpress.com/2016/01/19 ... miga-a590/

And updated firmware.

I have added some shots to show my trouble with HDinstTools.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu May 31, 2018 12:30 pm

Hm. To be honest, I've never seen it fail a format before. Curious - would you happen to have an additional SD card handy?

I can try to hook up a new scsi2sd and blank SD card tonight and go through the steps. But I wonder if you've got a legitimate hardware issue with that SD card.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu May 31, 2018 12:35 pm

Oh! One other thing. And I'm not sure if this really matters. But I always pick FFS, not FFS International. And in a case like you've got, I make partition 1 DH0: and the 2nd one would be DH1:

I'm not clear on why you formatted the whole thing as DH0: then partitioned it into two, with DH2: as the first partition. But I could be completely mis-reading your photos.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu May 31, 2018 12:38 pm

One of the nice things about using a program like GVP's FastPrep (a great fall-back program when I run into trouble) is that not only will it format your drives for you, but it will assist you in installing your Workbench to DH0:, so on reboot your drive is mounted and Workbench is ready to go.

Hm...

Doma

Posted Thu May 31, 2018 12:45 pm

Thanks I'll try a new card.

The photos might be out of chronologial order of me trying different stuff. Dont mind that :D

McTrinsic

Posted Thu May 31, 2018 1:03 pm

Don't do a low level format with drives made after the mid 90ies.

How big is the SD-card?

You could prep it with (Win)UAE if you just use the complete SD-card for the Amiga.

Return to “Hardware”