intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:58 pm

Time to start moving every MOD file you've ever found over to the Amiga! Wow. That's gigantic.

My A1000 has 100MB on it right now, and that feels roomy. Hah!

A1-X1000
Toronto, Canada

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:42 pm

Dynamic_Computing wrote:I would suspect the SSD's are a bit cooler than my 15,000 RPM monster! I could fry an egg on that sucker. There is no way I can put it in the case. I ended up routing the SCSI and power cables out the back of the case and setting a 80mm cooling fan on top of the drive ( which is now outside the Amiga)
I have to dig out an old external drive case and modify it to hold my new oven... Errr.... Hard drive.

yup I still have a SCSI Cheetah drive in my 1200T hooked up to my Mediator board and the airplane like whining sound when it starts up is something crazy lol :mrgreen: Even inside my tower case I still keep one side cover off since the heat from that thing can literally heat up my basement office nicely in the middle of winter!
I actually used that same drive to initially set up my A4000 desktop but, like you, I was too scared that the heat would destroy my beloved CS-MKIII so ended up only having a SCSI-SD drive and then a MOD card on my Buddha IDE so my A4000 is totally silent now

A10001986

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:08 am

I really don't want to be a smartass here, but are you aware of the 4gb-problem....?

https://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.de/4gb_faq.html

Edit: Since you are using a WarpEngine with the warpdrive.device, a discussion about hd size limits is here (and the requirement of using a Direct-SCSI capable FS):

http://www.amibay.com/archive/index.php/t-47024.html

Dynamic_Computing

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:45 am

A10001986 wrote:I really don't want to be a smartass here, but are you aware of the 4gb-problem....?

https://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.de/4gb_faq.html

Edit: Since you are using a WarpEngine with the warpdrive.device, a discussion about hd size limits is here (and the requirement of using a Direct-SCSI capable FS):

http://www.amibay.com/archive/index.php/t-47024.html
Yes. My Workbench partition is less than 4 Gigs. I just use large partitions on the data drives. My primary drive, the 74 Gig, is using FFS from OS 3.9 and seems ok. My new 300 Gig drive is using SFS - the only way I could get it to format.

I generally don't store to much extra stuff on Workbench partitions, just drivers and libraries, and stuff to access the Internet. I could probably have made it a 200 MB partition and never filled that up.

A10001986

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:16 am

Danger lies in the issue only surfacing when an overflow in the block number occurs. That usually happens when you start filling up a large drive and block numbers higher than 4G are accessed - due to the overflow, instead of a number >4G, that number minus 4G is being accessed. In most of the times, you don't immediately recognize the problem until you later access your data, which at this point has been long overwritten....

Despite of NSD, TD64 and Direct SCSI, I don't ever use disks beyond 4GB, and never make partitions >2GB. I simple don't trust that chaos of patches and contradicting info on the net. All my Amiga software, including ADFs, LHA archives and backups easily fits on 2x2GB.

Again, not being the smartass, only cautious.

http://www.gregdonner.org/os35faq/diskf ... on.html#11

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:54 pm

I don't think you're being a smart ass - simply trying to offer some help. That being said - and I admit I'm a black sheep here - I not only won't install really large drives, on some machines I purposefully install "small" ones. At least small by today's standards. Huge by yesteryear's.

For instance, on my A1000 Phoenix, I put a 256MB SCSI2SD in there. It could easily handle more, but by doing so it makes the boot time drag on unnecessarily. And I say unnecessarily because I know I don't really need that much space to do what I want to do with the machine. Back in the day, 256MB would have been anywhere between 2X - 10X bigger than anyone's possible setup. Plenty for my software, personally.

It's easy to want to max these things out (and doing so can be fun, of course!). But if 99% of the drive stays empty because it's enormous and it takes 30 seconds extra to boot... I go for small, fast and tidy. That's just me.

Dynamic_Computing

Posted Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:24 am

From my understanding, and from the tons of reading on the subject, it is only the Workbench boot partition that really needs to be under 4 Gigs. It has to be at boot time, as the patches that allow larger partitions are not yet active until they are loaded in Startup-sequence. Once the patches are loaded, the larger partitions work fine.
I really don't want my nice, big hard drives subdivided into dozens of tiny partitions...
SCSI controllers have always been able to address larger drives than the inboard IDE of the A1200 and A4000, and the newer file systems can handle 64 bit addressing so we can use that space.

Return to “Hardware”