bonoedgey
Canada

Posted Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:50 pm

Hello everyone, hope your weekend is going well. I have been meaning to put up a little article about a new passion I have recently gotten into.
I have recently gotten my hands on an Amiga 1000 computer.. although being only partial at the beginning. I was able to get my hands on the base computer to start with.

That little dongle being an adapter for an Amiga 2000 and 3000 (I believe) keyboard. I realized that getting a partial A1000 would mean going on the hunt for the other peripherals and such. (Mouse, keyboard, etc) but it was the right price and I had my eye on an Amiga 2000 keyboard that was hardly used at all for the right price.

So off I go.. I get both items. I have attached a pic of them set up with one of my 1084s monitors I have (albeit I wish it was a bit prettier with the face plate over the dials :? )

Now this was all nice and got me on my way. Throughout this I was in contact with intric8 (who has graciously taken me in the A1000 fold ;) thank you my friend)
I was at work one day when I get a message from him showing me a little gem.

I had been in contact with him for a while stating how I was keen to learn and how I was very happy and feeling fortunate to have an A1000 even if it was from bits here and there… I would love to have a proper A1000 keyboard. She is a fixer upper and not the prettiest things but I was pretty close to being as stoked as I was when the cubbies won (um.. I am not really kidding.. would like to say I was but …… ok where were we ;) )

So I got the keyboard and found out that it was pretty darn ugly haha in person that is. I proceeded to open it up.. seeing critters and all their lives passed long ago.
Now I was going to try my best at doing a "retro-brite" on her. I had tried a few things in the past with not too much luck.. but I set off determined.. Like intric8 .. I armed myself with a bit of a quarantine and was off..

I used a 20% peroxide bottle of gel from a local hair salon (I think they had 5%,10%, and this 20%. I have heard you can do up to 40% although they didn't have that).
I used an ordinary 2 inch paintbrush to lather on the gel.
I then proceeded to put it in an oversize ziplock bag I got from wallie-world (Walmart not national lampoons ;) )
I took the air out of it as best as I could and proceeded to put it out on my patio that had a nice 28 degrees Celsius out (Canadian and metric sorry *shrugs*)
I left it out there for would be approx 6hrs or so.. I did the process again a day later (my pics are from doing it once though) for another 1-2hrs.

The results I was eager to share. I got some very well praise and encouragement which made me feel good cause it was kinda trial and error.
Attachments
Amiga1000 base.jpg
Together.jpg

bonoedgey
Canada

Posted Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:53 pm

here are the rest of the pics
Attachments
16B5E1B8-AD85-4BBC-9BF0-3242D2AB7D21.jpeg
B49F64C2-0281-46C3-BCF7-DC76AE152F63.jpeg
D7DCCF81-6746-430F-8047-4A21FFEFA8C5.jpeg

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:52 pm

Wow! I think it's probably hard for most to appreciate the before/after amazingness (new word) of what you've done here, man.

That keyboard was practically ORANGE before. And in that last shot? Wow. Wow!

That weird creepy sound? That's me, clapping thunderously from thousands of miles away. :)

<3

By the way, if you've got a steady hand, it looks like your Amiga logo on the 1000 will need some black paint applied with a very fine brush. You can do it!

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:48 am

Hi,
this great! I love and appreciate when someone takes the time to restore the Amiga.

Good job! Now you only need to get an angled mouse. Has anyone seen a 3D-printed adapter??

bonoedgey
Canada

Posted Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:21 am

Thanks you McTrinsic and intric8.. that means alot to me. Yah I just need to stumble upon the mouse now. Speaking of 3d printing I did see somewhere where the expansion bay for the A1000 was replicated. My is open and has nothing in it.. (have the 256kb in the front.. for a whole whomping 512k .. I know I know.. a beast ;) )

I do have a 8MB expansion to put into it. (goes over the existing chip.. intric8 has a post on the device.. at the moment I and forgetting the wonderful person's name that made it.. but you rock! )

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:33 pm

I still think the A1k has a certain magic about it.

Might just be me, its just that I cant forget what it was like when I first saw DotC...

Have fun with this „grande dame“ ;)

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:02 am

bonoedgey wrote:I do have a 8MB expansion to put into it. (goes over the existing chip.. intric8 has a post on the device.. at the moment I and forgetting the wonderful person's name that made it.. but you rock! )
The guy you’re referring to is MKL. He also has a fine IDE adapter that stacks with your memory board for the ultimate A1K experience!

Great work on your Amiga. Good to see another 1000 brought back from the brink!

bonoedgey
Canada

Posted Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:21 pm

EzdineG wrote: The guy you’re referring to is MKL. He also has a fine IDE adapter that stacks with your memory board for the ultimate A1K experience!

Great work on your Amiga. Good to see another 1000 brought back from the brink!
Thanks EzdineG for helping me with recalling MKL and for the fine encouragement.

bonoedgey
Canada

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:37 pm

Hey intric8, here is a photo with the case off.. it may not be necessarily enough proof but I figured I would show it here if I had something inside that was added on. (Adspeed , etc)

Again sorry for the low quality.. I don't really see anything out of the ordinary but I figured I would show it here just in case..
Perhaps the daughterboard would be hiding something, I am thinking that the person I got it from would have removed anything he thought.. I didn't " deserve" :P but you never know
Attachments
inside 1.jpg

Return to “Hardware”