intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:00 am

So the first time you remove the cable and notice there is a pin missing and you happen to look at the cable and see the pin is "stuck" in the cable.
That totally gave me a heart attack the first time I saw it. I cursed myself out until I discovered the cable "still worked".

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:00 pm

Took this video last night. I think your Floppy Drive lights are simply doing what they've always done as well as mine, too (which is weird). I know my 2000's lights have always behaved this way. Hope this settles your mind. Has never hurt anything or caused any problems other than mild confusion as to why those lights do what they do.

Assuming this is also what you see:

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:27 pm

LOL. That's funny. You have a better memory then I do. Perhaps way back then in 89 or so I didn't pay too much attention to it. Or perhaps all these years building PCs has altered my perceptions. :o ;)

Thanks, intric8, that is exactly what mine does.

A10001986

Posted Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:18 am

For what it's worth, the activity LED on the right hand drive is not connected as on Amiga standard drives. Its blinking hints to being linked to actual data transfer activity, and not to mere "motor on". I have seen this blinking on external drives (of unknown type), but my internal drives (Chinon, Matsushita) all light up constantly whenever the floppy motor is on.

TjLaZer
Tacompton

Posted Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:17 pm

I think I've seen this issue with both drive LED's coming on. I think it's due to incompatible drive mech's. They might look the same on the outside but they might be different brands. Is one HD and one 880k? Does one have a dust flap and the other not? I think I had one of these combos, then I swapped out the drive with another one and it resolved the issue.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:27 am

TjLaZer wrote:I think I've seen this issue with both drive LED's coming on. I think it's due to incompatible drive mech's. They might look the same on the outside but they might be different brands. Is one HD and one 880k? Does one have a dust flap and the other not? I think I had one of these combos, then I swapped out the drive with another one and it resolved the issue.
Hi thanks for the thought. No, they are the same drives. In fact they were installed from the factory this way and the serial numbers are only a digit different. I think it is just the way it works with these drives per the video that intric8 posted.

Robert_MyAmigaShop
USA

Posted Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:59 pm

Hi Zippy Zapp! :-)

I always forget this configuration myself and awhile back took a photo and have it in my phone so whenever I need to know can pull it up. Which is all the time. Ha :-)

The configuration I use is:
Right Drive as DF0:, Left Drive as DF1:
Middle Connector to DF1: and the end connector with the twist to DF0:

This configuration should eliminate both drive lights coming on when only accessing one drive.

If it doesn't then something might be wrong with the cable or double check and make sure the cable is correctly attached to the drive. I have a bad habit of inserting the cable only on the top pins and sometimes inserting the cable offset a row, where 2 end pins are not connected in the cable. So I always have to double and triple check my connections to make sure the cable is fully seated and inserted correctly.

Hope this helps some. :-)

Robert
MyAmigaShop.com

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:16 pm

Hi Robert, sorry for the delayed response.

Thanks for the information I will compare it to my config and see how it works. I assume you changed the jumpers on the drives to match for DF0 or DF1?

Thanks!

Robert_MyAmigaShop
USA

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:39 am

Yes, on the bottom of the circuit board of the the drive should be jumper pins label DS0: through DS3: that corresponds to DF0: to DF3: on Chinon FB-354 revE drives, some others may only have two jumper positions DS0: and DS1:

:-)

Return to “Hardware”