dalek
Australia

Posted Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:54 am

I reckon that expansion is well beyond repair - the corrosion is way up the legs of the ram chips - they're probably wrecked.

Also, if the green is that far up the connector, likely the pins on your A500 expansion port also have corrosion and need cleaning so attend to that first.

Save yourself heartache and do what others have suggested and buy a new RAM expansion off ebay.

DangerManfred
Hamburg, Germany

Posted Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:04 am

I Kind of expected that. Can anyone recommend an expansion up to 50 bucks that doesn't require soldering?

femuruy

Posted Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:12 am

:o check the link i mentioned on my prev. post, also this one is a great option

A10001986

Posted Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:39 pm

There are tons of those on ebay. They usually go for 30 EUR or less.

McTrinsic

Posted Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:57 pm

None of the simple 512kb expansions require soldering or any modification.
Some expansions that also add RangerMem or so may require some wires etc.

DangerManfred
Hamburg, Germany

Posted Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:44 am

I think I'll go with the Boobip one, since it has a changeable battery, and every RAM expansion on german eBay, even 25 year old used ones with 512K, cost at least 36€ when the battery is changeable, and the complete 2MB kit costs only 41 (including international shipping).
Since I've seen a lot of leaking batteries by now, I find it important to avoid that, and once I am a little more confident in my soldering skills, I can upgrade even more.
Speaking of which: I got my hands on a MC68010P10 for free, a friend wanted to put it into his SEGA, but then decided to keep it original.
Would that in my stock A500 w/o changing much else? I mean the performance boost would be minimal, but since it's free...
Attachments
s-l500.jpg

femuruy

Posted Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:55 pm

Sockets get brittle with time (more so the cheap ones commodore used) i wouldn't risk taking my 68k out for a 010 for a minimal gain. risk/gain ratio not worth it for me, that's why i finally decided to get an ACA500+

McTrinsic

Posted Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:34 pm

The 68010 is not faster, at least not noticeable. Maybe a few percentage in synthetic benchmarks. I had one a long time ago and noticed no difference.

In case you want to use WHDLoad the 010 offers some quitkey-functionality.

In short: don't bother.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:28 pm

IIRC, the 68010 also has some compatibility issues and is not 100% compatible with 68000. I don't recall the details but I am sure it is not a severe thing because people during that time did use them.

DangerManfred
Hamburg, Germany

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:04 pm

Zippy Zapp wrote:IIRC, the 68010 also has some compatibility issues and is not 100% compatible with 68000. I don't recall the details but I am sure it is not a severe thing because people during that time did use them.
Yes, one of the instructions (MOVE) differs a bit, but irl that doesn't ever matter.
I'm still unsure whether or not I should use it, because:
pro
- it is already in front of me and didn't cost me one cent
- while the performance boost is negligible, it is actually there
- I'm opening the Amiga anyway, so it wouldn't be any extra trouble pulling out the chip and replacing it by this one
con
- if sockets really get brittle over time, pulling out the old chip might damage the socket

My socket doesn't seem brittle to me, and I haven't heard of that before, has that happened to anyone here yet?

Return to “Hardware”