hlide

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:29 pm

Here is mine:
IMG_20180224_121053 - Copie.jpg
Putting the C64 Reloaded MK2 board in the black C64C case.

IMG_20180224_132551 - Copie.jpg
Then the keyboard.

IMG_20180224_134624 - Copie.jpg
Then closing the black C64 box. The led is orange to fit with the brown keyboard.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:37 pm

Lookin' good!

bonoedgey
Canada

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:43 pm

such a great little project.. having a modern C64.. *sigh* great stuff

LASooner

Posted Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:26 pm

intric8 wrote:@Bulletdust That would be pretty crazy.

Also worthy of note: apparently if you use a WiFi modem in the user port some users have reported visual noise. It was a fixable problem with the MK1 but not the MK2 based on the design.

It would be interesting to test if a modem that used an external source of power would make the interference would go away (like the Paul Rickards modem, but for C64).

You have saved my sanity, I thought it was bad cables or bad inputs on the TV, as soon as I unplugged the WiModem, rock solid picture.

Luckily I don't use it online much.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:21 am

I had asked Jens about this not too long ago... he sent me a photo of a fix that could be done to the WiiModem to help eliminate this. He said those responsible for the design of the wiimodem, do not think line filtering is necessary, or, just don't care about it.

Wifi_Modem_fix.JPG
From Jens:

add a 330µH coil and a 330µF electrolytic capacitor. This fixes the
known-problematic current consumption of the ESP8266 Wifi processor (the
net is full of suggestions how to add filtering).

The wiimodem is ineligible for CE or FCC certification due to this lack of filtering, according to Jens.

JimDrew
LHC, AZ

Posted Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:42 pm

This "fix" is for the C64 Reloaded, NOT the WiModem, Jason Ranheim Promenade, Video Byte II, or any other USER PORT device! The PROBLEM is the poor design of the C64 Reloaded's clock circuitry. ALL devices that used the USER PORT work just fine on real C64/128/Vic-20/Plus4, etc. hardware - but NOT with the C64 Reloaded. Do the math.

As pointed out by many others, the C64 Reloaded Mk1 board works PERFECT if you remove the fake 8701 replacement board and use a real 8701 chip. The C64 Reloaded Mk2 board has the fake 8701 circuit built in, so you are screwed.

The WiModem passed FCC verification, so Jens has no clue what he is talking about.

Bulletdust

Posted Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:00 pm

Sounds just like the kind of thing Jens would say, a fairly arrogant sort of fellow..

So the C64 Reloaded is out as I can't use my WiModem and the Ultimate 64 is out because that doesn't even have a user port...Sounds like I'll be sticking with my trusty genuine breadbin for a little while longer.

hlide

Posted Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:36 pm

Bulletdust wrote:Sounds just like the kind of thing Jens would say, a fairly arrogant sort of fellow..
That was exactly what I thought about Jens the way he answered my questions I asked by email regarding some unclear aspects of MK2. I was about not buying the C64 MK2 because of the way he reacted (very unfriendly). Now that I have one and can see what this board contains for the price he sold it (well this board sure have its positive sides...), I can only think he's an asshole selling overpricing products especially after I heard his after-sale service may not be that good to customers having real troubles with his products (seems he denies easily any issues coming from his designs).

To be honest, I cannot make my mind up to buy another stuff from iComp because of him.

Obviously, that's just my opinion.
Last edited by hlide on Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hlide

Posted Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:38 pm

Bulletdust wrote:So the C64 Reloaded is out as I can't use my WiModem and the Ultimate 64 is out because that doesn't even have a user port...Sounds like I'll be sticking with my trusty genuine breadbin for a little while longer.
U64 has ESP32 so WiFi should be possible without WiModem - well when something is coded for that.
Last edited by hlide on Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:40 pm

To be honest I'm kind of surprised Jens hasn't tried to create and sell a WiFi modem due to this issue with the MK2. Everything else about the board has been stellar in my opinion. But the noise with the User Port really blows. I wish there was a way to deal with it via a firmware update, but I don't think that's happening based on his positioning.

Return to “Hardware”