leighb2282

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:03 am

Hi Folks,

I'm back after moving and finally getting settled and now have somewhat of a space to work on my Amigas!

I've had an issue with my original A2000 Rev6.3 motherboard where it'll do some funky boot loop, I thought it was one of the chips (maybe a CIA or the Denise chip) so I bought a rev6.2 board to see if I could resurrect the 6.3 or at least get the 6.2 booting but it weirdly seems to have the same issue?!?!

The issue is shown in the movie below and both motherboards are doing it (bare board, no additional Zorro cards in it, stock floppy drive) so I can't imagine I bought a second motherboard with EXACTLY the same issue, so I'm wondering if anyone had any other ideas? I was wondering if a hosed power supply could cause this?
Help!

Thanks,

LeighB

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:18 am

I lean towards the PSU since both MBs are exhibiting the exact same behavior. But I also cringe at giving advice from afar as I may simply suggest a rabbit hole to nowhere. Going to be tough to experiment if you don't have a few spare parts lying around.

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:12 pm

This this behavior without a keyboard / mouse plugged in?

leighb2282

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:21 pm

EzdineG wrote:This this behavior without a keyboard / mouse plugged in?
Both, with and without.

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:34 pm

It is peculiar that you'd have the same problem with both motherboards.

Try changing jumper J300 to not depend on the PS for tick.

Before spending unnecessary money on an A2000 power supply, have a look at this.

leighb2282

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:10 pm

So, removing the jumper changes nothing on either board sadly, same little loop that I show in my video, putting the jumper shows the same thing.

I honestly am at a loss at this point.
EzdineG wrote:It is peculiar that you'd have the same problem with both motherboards.

Try changing jumper J300 to not depend on the PS for tick.

Before spending unnecessary money on an A2000 power supply, have a look at this.

Dynamic_Computing

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:36 am

Do you have an older ROM chips to try? Are you using the same Kickstart ROM on both boards you are testing?

leighb2282

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:42 am

i've tried 3 different kickstart ROMS (A 2.04 ROM and 2 different 1.3 ROMs, in both boards, no difference)
Dynamic_Computing wrote:Do you have an older ROM chips to try? Are you using the same Kickstart ROM on both boards you are testing?

obitus1990
USA

Posted Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:01 pm

Are all the socketed chips 100% seated?

dalek
Australia

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:03 am

Since it's getting to white screen (I think) it suggests an issue with the boot device.

Try:
* remove floppy drive, power on and wait for 2 minutes and see if you get a boot screen
* hold down both mouse buttons and see if you get the early boot screen (if you are on kickstart 2.0+)

Return to “Hardware”