BloodyCactus
Lexington VA

Posted Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:57 pm

I saw on the site blog of Kipper2K that there are new Cherry MX keyboards being produced.

I believe interested people need to check out AmigaOnTheLake who will be doing preorders.

Kickstart Zero.OhNo!

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:44 pm

This is wonderful! Thank you so much for posting this. Take my $$$!

Dynamic_Computing

Posted Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:05 am

Almost $200 though... I understand that they are expensive in low quantity, but you can pick up a broken A500 for spare parts for a lot less... I would bite if they were less than $100

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:11 am

When it comes to retro hardware, we have to keep the economies of scale in mind. These are typically one-man shops and sourcing parts (and time) is not easy or cheap.

I'm guessing if we were to try and built the same exact thing ourselves by hand with all new parts, the out-of-pocket costs would be similar.

You could go buy an old 500, but it wouldn't be a brand new 500. From a practical standpoint, I 100% agree an old machine would be quicker/cheaper. But *if* you want new, I don't think $200 is outrageous. It won't make a lot of sense for most people, but for some? Heck yeah.

I doubt we could source all new parts for less than $100.

Kickstart Zero.OhNo!

Posted Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:05 am

Dynamic_Computing wrote:Almost $200 though... I understand that they are expensive in low quantity, but you can pick up a broken A500 for spare parts for a lot less... I would bite if they were less than $100

For me, it is all about customization. Cherry MX keycap options enormously vast.

joethezombie
Twin Falls, ID

Posted Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:35 pm

So if I get one of these for my 1200, do I need to buy new keycaps as well or do my existing ones work? If I need new ones, where do I get them?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:01 pm

Sort of buried in that post he mentions that he's found a supplier for keycaps, too.

mattsoft

Posted Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:03 pm

FYI, if you're trying to repair a 500 keyboard, you can get a brand new 500 keyboard membrane for $30. It's like having a new keyboard for your 500. For $30.

But yeah, economies of scale are at work here. This keyboard would possibly be the last keyboard you would ever need for your 500. I plan to get one for my Kickstarted 500 case (whenever that arrives).

Return to “Hardware”