Kickstart Zero.OhNo!

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:24 pm

Looking to make 3.1.4 rom chips and bought an eProm burner... That's far as I got... Any idea how to go about doing this? Any concise guides?
I got one of these - GQ PRG-112 GQ-4X V4 with a 42 pin attachment. It is for an Amiga 1200.

Best,
S.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:57 pm

What kind of eproms are you using? I use AM27C400 UV erasable eproms on a Superpro 601 programmer. Works like a charm.

Kickstart Zero.OhNo!

Posted Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:15 pm

DO you happen to have a guide of the steps?
obitus1990 wrote:What kind of eproms are you using? I use AM27C400 UV erasable eproms on a Superpro 601 programmer. Works like a charm.

BloodyCactus
Lexington VA

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:50 am

You will need an UV eraser. Try not to cook them when you erase them! :) You will also need a 27C400 thats 120ns or better.

I've read people having issues with the GQ4X and AM27C400's in the 42pin adapter... but dont know how true it is.

erase rom, do blank check. burn image. verify!

SnkBitten
South Carolina

Posted Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:13 pm

I have a GQ4X and the 42pin adapter but have been completely unsuccessful burning eproms. Reading them (eproms burned by others) was fine but as soon as a write on a blank one was attempted it would error out.

I bought a TL866CS off eBay with the appropriate adapter for about half the price of the GQ4X and have burned six eproms successfully so far......the exact same eproms I tried and failed with the GQ4X.

From eBay:
"USB MiniPro TL866CS Universal BIOS Programmer EEPROM FLASH 8051 AVR GAL PIC SPI"
and
"27C322 / 27C160 / 27C800 / 27C400 adapter board for TL866 programmer"

I've done both AM27C400-120DC and AM27C400-105DC's with the 105's being slightly faster eproms (would be a slightly better choice).

Either way, make sure you setup the device properly for the type chips you are burning and disable/un-check any "ID" setting for the eproms as you are burning eproms not technically designed for the programmers (GQ4x and TL866CS).

RizThomas
Surrey, BC, Canada

Posted Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:54 pm

I was browsing the messages on this site and noticed this thread. I noticed that some of the posts talked about some failures in burning the eproms (kickstarts) but no mention on Byte Swap before burning. As I just about to order some eproms (AMD 27C400 120ns or faster), I intend to do some A1000 / A500 kickstarts for my own use....apparently a Byte Swap is needed before burning into the eprom. Has anybody done this (aside from the guy I saw @youtube).

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:19 am

RizThomas wrote:I was browsing the messages on this site and noticed this thread. I noticed that some of the posts talked about some failures in burning the eproms (kickstarts) but no mention on Byte Swap before burning. As I just about to order some eproms (AMD 27C400 120ns or faster), I intend to do some A1000 / A500 kickstarts for my own use....apparently a Byte Swap is needed before burning into the eprom. Has anybody done this (aside from the guy I saw @youtube).
Yes. The kickstart files you find online are not typically ready for use in a real Amiga; they must be byte swapped. If you read an image from an actual Kickstart ROM, the generated file is byte swapped and ready to burn. If the file you’re going to burn works with WinUAE, it is not byte swapped. If you can maprom the file in a real Amiga, it is not byte swapped.

The software for your burner usually has a “byte swap” box you can tick that will do this for you before it writes, but the MiniPro software for the TL866 DOES NOT. There are several scripts available that can byte swap files, but I personally use WinHex. I believe the Linux dd command can byte swap a file for you (conv=swab).

There are also considerations with using EPROMS if your A500 is a Rev 5. You may need to pull up the address lines on the socket, as well as perform the 1-31 socket bridge + 31 lifted to VCC.

mmcfee
MA

Posted Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:22 pm

Hi, all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I just popped on to add some info for anyone searching on this and having issues with the GQ 4x4 with adapter.

To write to 27C400 EPROMs you need to change the J1 jumper to 1-2. Otherwise you'll get write fail errors.

Hope that helps. :)
Maggie

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:59 am

I have a GQ4X and an adapter but have only used it to burn ROMs for 8-bit stuff. Never had a problem. Are the adapters interchangeable? Can you use the adapter for the GQ4X on a TL866/TL866II? I would think so but not sure.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:39 am

@mmcfee

Welcome! Thanks for coming out of the shadows.

I found your site with some of your incredible 3D work. What's your current 3D modelling package these days?

About 13 years ago I was an expert in Maya. Well, I was a generalist. And while I could model (relaxing) and texture (oddly frustrating) and rig (which I hated) and animate (felt like work when doing bipeds) my favorite part of the pipeline was really compositing and background painting. And that included the lighting/texturing pieces - when it worked. Hah!

But then I went back to work in the Internet/Mobile world and those skills waned away. I do miss it and enjoyed seeing some of your models this morning.

My 3D path was a long and intermittent one. In the late 90s I started with 3D Studio r4, right before Max came out. Then I took a long hiatus (dot com boom happened) before jumping head first into Maya for 2 straight years and fell in love with it. These days, 3D packages (esp on the Mac) aren't easy to get into, feels like. Maybe Blender?

Or... Lightwave on an Amiga 4000? =)

Return to “Hardware”