Christian wrote:I just did the modification on my A2000A RAM expansion board and the upper 512K memory bank (starting at c80000) started having memory test errors.
The upper bank (socketed) had 41256-15 DRAMs while the lower bank (soldered in) had 41257-15 DRAMs (probably faster than labeled since those also support Nibble Mode).
Anyway, I replaced the upper bank DRAMs with 41256-10 (100ns instead of 150ns) and the memory tests fine now.
The performance (Sysinfo 2.73) increased from 0.86 times the speed of a B2000 to 1.00.
See if yours already has the modification (see below). If so, you may have to reverse it if the memory on the card is too slow.
Modification to remove the 1 waitstate:
Change the patch wire that goes from
pin 9 on U16 to pin 12 on U13
pin 9 on U16 to pin 17 on U13.
A good way to test unstable c00000 memory is either to add real fast mem (which will have a higher priority, keeping OS and programs out of c00000) or to use Kickstart 1.0/1.1 which don’t automatically add c00000 memory.
Then use GVPMemTest or Microbotics MBRTest-2 (don’t know if that runs under 1.0/1.1).
Thanks for the information
I tried the hack, but all it did for me in the A1000 was to identify the board as 1MB instead of 512KB as mine is.
When undoing the hack, the machine went back to seeing 512KB.
Was looking for some chips to expand the card to 1MB, but could only find 10chips in my drawers. Maybe I´ll order a few more to try the hack with a fully populated board.
I can also add that hack did show an increase in speed in sysinfo, but the machine was unusable due to it thinking it had 1MB ram extra...