joethezombie
Twin Falls, ID

Posted Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:16 am

The new year started out with a terrible event! :cry:

After 30 years of fun, my Magnavox RGB Display 80 (CM8762) CRT left this earth while in service, getting an Ultimate II setup with my 128DCR. So many games, homework, and programming have grazed across her beautiful glass screen over the decades, and it is with great sadness I post here.

:cry:

I hear a loud squeal from the flyback area, and the screen stays completely dark. I'm going to attempt triage by replacing the flyback and all the transistors. If that brings her back to life, I'll go ahead and replace all the voltage regulators and capacitors. Send good karma our way fellow CRT lovers! <3

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:39 am

Oh no! I hope you are able to fix the problem.

One of my 1080's is starting to flicker its color. Like, I'll be in the middle of something and everything will suddenly take on a darker shade as if yellow was added to the entire screen. After a while it may flick back to its normal look.

I should make a trip to Ray Carlsen with a van full of CRTs to repair, but it's not exactly close. It would be a full-day event for me to get down there and back. Then I'd have to do another day to retrieve everything. Hence my procrastination...

Good luck with your Magnavox.

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:19 pm

joethezombie wrote:I hear a loud squeal from the flyback area, and the screen stays completely dark. I'm going to attempt triage by replacing the flyback and all the transistors. If that brings her back to life, I'll go ahead and replace all the voltage regulators and capacitors. Send good karma our way fellow CRT lovers! <3
Flyback, HOT and for good measure those capacitors and she’ll be good as new. Good luck, Joe.

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:21 pm

intric8 wrote:Oh no! I hope you are able to fix the problem.

One of my 1080's is starting to flicker its color. Like, I'll be in the middle of something and everything will suddenly take on a darker shade as if yellow was added to the entire screen. After a while it may flick back to its normal look.

I should make a trip to Ray Carlsen with a van full of CRTs to repair, but it's not exactly close. It would be a full-day event for me to get down there and back. Then I'd have to do another day to retrieve everything. Hence my procrastination...

Good luck with your Magnavox.
Eric, this is most likely just bad caps. They’re really easy to replace on these monitors, it just takes a few hours to get them all. You might consider giving it a shot (just watch a few videos on how to discharge the crt first.)

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:02 pm

just watch a few videos on how to discharge the crt first.
Man, I have. And I know I could easily discharge the thing. But it's sort of like doing a Zip Line. Taking that first step is the hardest part about the whole thing.

Return to “Hardware”