Trekiej

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:19 pm

Hello.
I know that this question has been asked probably a thousand times.
What is the empty space below the Kickstart sockets are for?
It looks like it could have two more Rom's placed there.
If I were to add two more sockets, could I get a Rom upgrade to eliminate the kickstart disk?
Thanks, I will look at the schematics soon.
Last edited by Trekiej on Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:33 pm

For which machine/board?

Trekiej

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:30 pm

Sorry, I forgot to put A1000.

nonarkitten

Posted Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:44 pm

I believe so. There appears to be room for four total mask ROMs. Each ROM is 256Kbit or 32KB with an 8-bit data. Two are needed for 16-bit (granting 64KB ROM) and four, in theory, would give you 128KB. I doubt simply adding the ROM sockets would be sufficient, there's something to do with the W1, W2 and W3 jumpers as well.

It's probably not enough for any Amiga Kickstart, but you MIGHT be able to "grow your own" significantly pared down version that loaded workbench.library from floppy or hard disk.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:06 pm

What is the empty space below the Kickstart sockets are for?
If we're talking about the A1000, it doesn't have any Kickstart sockets. But it does have two blank spots on the motherboard below the floppy drive. Not sure what they're for.

But have you seen this thread? If you want to add Kickstart ROMs, it is possible.

A10001986

Posted Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:47 am

Those sockets were indeed for a complete Kickstart in 32k-(EP)ROMs. I have a machine with 1.3 using all four sockets. Other requirements were cutting some solder-jumpers and replacing a PAL, IIRC that's it.

PS:
Big Book of Amiga Hardware

nonarkitten

Posted Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:37 am

I'm curious if this allows to the omission of the daughter board? Isn't its purpose entirely for the WOM?

A10001986

Posted Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:39 am

I don't know, I didn't try without. But IIRC the PAL to be replaced is on the daughter board.

I don't remember (but lean towards yes) if the WOM was treated as RAM with that mod installed. (I can't test that because I removed this modified board from the case and installed an unmodified one for true retro experience.)

Trekiej

Posted Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:00 pm

Later on I found out that there was a company that made a kit that had two Roms and a PAL to replace the one on the daughter card.
This would get rid of the Kickstart disk.
8-)

Return to “Hardware”