Amiga hardware info, help and support with a focus (but not limited to) North American NTSC experiences. Open to all.
oldbull

by oldbull posted Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:28 am

How can I identify what membrane is in my specific A500 keyboard without completely disassembling the keyboard?

I found an online listing for one specific version of that part.
Dynamic_Computing

by Dynamic_Computing posted Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:10 am

It seems that if the membrane has one physical connection to the PCB it is a newer version. If it has two physical connection it is the older dual membrane units. I have not been able to find a replacement dual membrane.
https://www.youtube.com/c/10minuteamigaretrocast
@10marc1 on Twitter
Mr.Toast
Roseville, CA

by Mr.Toast posted Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:38 pm

Yes, what he said^. When you see the KB with the case off, the Mitsumi boards will have a single ribbon flex cable going to the small PCB in the upper right corner. The PCB will only have one flat flex cable receptacle.

Post a picture if you have any doubts!
oldbull

by oldbull posted Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:49 pm

Without taking the keyboard apart, I can only see a single ribbon between the keys and the PCB. The motherboard is Rev6A so I hope that bodes well for having the newer keyboard membrane. I did see the word Mitsumi printed on the PCB.
Mr.Toast
Roseville, CA

by Mr.Toast posted Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:08 am

You're good to go then. I ordered a replacement membrane from the UK a few months back and it works flawlessly. Very good condition stock they have at Vesalia's listing (can't find the link atm).
oldbull

by oldbull posted Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:11 pm

Good to know. I currently have a refurbished floppy drive in transit. As soon as the A500 gets into Workbench, I can check the keyboard. Hopefully I can start using the computer and just order a membrane to keep handy.