oldbull

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:28 am

How can I identify what membrane is in my specific A500 keyboard without completely disassembling the keyboard?

I found an online listing for one specific version of that part.

Dynamic_Computing

Posted Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:10 pm

It seems that if the membrane has one physical connection to the PCB it is a newer version. If it has two physical connection it is the older dual membrane units. I have not been able to find a replacement dual membrane.

Mr.Toast
Roseville, CA

Posted Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:38 pm

Yes, what he said^. When you see the KB with the case off, the Mitsumi boards will have a single ribbon flex cable going to the small PCB in the upper right corner. The PCB will only have one flat flex cable receptacle.

Post a picture if you have any doubts!

oldbull

Posted Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:49 pm

Without taking the keyboard apart, I can only see a single ribbon between the keys and the PCB. The motherboard is Rev6A so I hope that bodes well for having the newer keyboard membrane. I did see the word Mitsumi printed on the PCB.

Mr.Toast
Roseville, CA

Posted Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:08 pm

You're good to go then. I ordered a replacement membrane from the UK a few months back and it works flawlessly. Very good condition stock they have at Vesalia's listing (can't find the link atm).

oldbull

Posted Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:11 pm

Good to know. I currently have a refurbished floppy drive in transit. As soon as the A500 gets into Workbench, I can check the keyboard. Hopefully I can start using the computer and just order a membrane to keep handy.

Return to “Hardware”