intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:32 am

Well, shoot. Looks like I'm going to need to take a trip to Ray Carlsen's house sooner than I thought. One of my original Amiga 1080 CRTs is losing its color. Bizarrely, when browsing the BBSes, it now looks almost like a pure green monochrome monitor.

Every now and then the normal colors will flicker on, but it doesn't seem to want to stay. Bummer.
IMG_9436.JPG
It's not the cable or the connection. This issue has been trying to surface and become more permanent for a few months now. This is one of those old CRTs that, when powering up, will be a very faded screen. But since powering up takes 30 seconds or so from power-on to use, it hasn't been that big of a deal to me. But over time the faded color became the least of my concerns as the occasional flicker has become much more regular. This old girl needs repair.
IMG_9435.JPG

Doma

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:39 am

It looks pretty great on text, but yeah, not supposed to look that way. :D

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:09 pm

I've some great news! As I was about to remove the 1080 from my desk, I gave the whole thing one last sanity check. I twisted every know and flicked every single switch.

That's when I discovered something.

On the back there is a switch that can go from analog to digital.
IMG_9440.png
As I was fiddling things, I noticed as I touched the switch (barely) the screen flickered with a similar effect I'd seen that made it go yellow/green. I used the switch back and forth a few times. Lo and behold!

My colors are all back!
IMG_9442.JPG
She can avoid going to the doctor for a little while longer. Hooray for procrastination! (And long life!)
:)

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:25 am

Good News! You can probably shoot some contact cleaner or Deoxit in there and it might help, maybe. Sounds like you cleaned off the contacts already, though, just with "exercising" the switch.

Return to “Hardware”