rpiguy9907

Posted Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:09 pm

I recently purchased a one piece “flash disk on module” and successfully installed it in my A1200. These cheapish modules were designed to replace IDE hard drives in industrial computers that require them.

The drive feels much faster to me than a CF card, but perhaps that is just the fresh install of 3.1.

View on Amazon

I haven’t seen these discussed much so I thought I’d let folks know this is a viable option for the Amiga.

rossoe

Posted Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:22 pm

Hi,

I'm just trying to setup my a Transcend flash module myself:

https://www.ebay.com/p/1201480390?iid=153771835826

I assume it's pretty much the same as yours apart from different packaging.

But I've been stuck trying to simply connect the damn thing to my PC to image it with WinUAE! which I assume you need to do first, I was discussing available connector options here:
https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=101467

Out of interest could you describe how you connected your's in order to set it up? and what steps did you take to image it ready for plugging into Your A1200?

Have you used yours to run WHDLoad?

Ross

obitus1990
USA

Posted Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:47 pm

Why do you need to image it on your PC to use it? I use these drives on all my Amigas, and I just plug them into the IDE port and run Workbench from a Gotek to install it onto the DOM (after partitioning it).

obitus1990
USA

Posted Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:26 pm

bradpadgett wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:02 pm
I bought the same model of DOM to use on my amigas and the 1200 and 4000d ide headers do not have a notch or blocked pins and the DOM doesn't mark pin 1.

how do you determine where pin 1 is on the dom itself?? The amigas have pin 1 marked but the dom doesn't.
Look at an IDE-40 or IDE-44 pin cable pinout. On a cable, pin one is always (when looking head on at the holes in the cable's IDC connector) the top left pin when you put the cable KEY (the raised key in the center of the IDC connector) UP.

The DOM has the same key ridge on it as the cable does.
07fig03_alt.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 12.27.28 AM.png

rossoe

Posted Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:04 pm

obitus1990 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:47 pm
Why do you need to image it on your PC to use it? I use these drives on all my Amigas, and I just plug them into the IDE port and run Workbench from a Gotek to install it onto the DOM (after partitioning it).
I was under the illusion that it would be nice and easy setting the drive up first via WinUAE in windows.

That's an interesting point re using gotek I recently bought an internal one ready to test out on my A600 - but this Flash drive DOM was actually heading for my A1200 setup.

Having wathced this video of someone testing out a gotek they seemed to mention that it's best not to run it on A1200 and in particular avoid 3.1 kickstart for some reason? anyone heard of same issue?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdP449iG1Tc

I've seen others seem to have it working fine on A1200's - what have you got your gotek running on?

obitus1990
USA

Posted Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:10 pm

rossoe wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:04 pm

I was under the illusion that it would be nice and easy setting the drive up first via WinUAE in windows.

That's an interesting point re using gotek I recently bought an internal one ready to test out on my A600 - but this Flash drive DOM was actually heading for my A1200 setup.

Having wathced this video of someone testing out a gotek they seemed to mention that it's best not to run it on A1200 and in particular avoid 3.1 kickstart for some reason? anyone heard of same issue?

I haven't watched that video, but will check it out later. I have a Gotek in practically all my Amigas, including the A1200. I don't know why anyone would say they don't work in the A1200, because they do...flawlessly. If someone is saying not to use it, well, they probably don't know what they're talking about...and/or it's probably that clown DoomMaster (his forum name that's been banned just about everywhere in the Amiga world) who says anything beyond an A500 and KS 1.3 is not an Amiga (while falsely claiming he was on the team that designed the Amiga). There's also nothing wrong with Kickstart 3.1. Sure, there are bugs in it that 3.1.4 (released 2-3 years ago) fixed, but, prior to me installing 3.1.4 ROMs and OS, I used 3.1 ROMS on all machines except for my A500, which I left intact with 1.3 ROMS to use WB 1.3 and OCS games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdP449iG1Tc

I've seen others seem to have it working fine on A1200's - what have you got your gotek running on?
See above :)

Edit to add: Rentrocengo is not what I would consider a very knowledgeable source of information based on past videos I've watched. The impression I get of him is he's just some guy looking for more views and followers from the Cult of Amiga to make cash from Youtube. Can you tell me exactly at what point in the video he states any of that?

rossoe

Posted Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:58 pm

Ok that's reassuring thanks obitus, I'm completely new to Amiga's so learning from the ground up.

He mentioned it twice @:

19:46
&
27:40

obitus1990
USA

Posted Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:14 pm

Utter nonsense. He's obviously confused. The only incompatibility anyone is going to encounter is between 1.3 (or 1.2, 2.0, etc.) and 3.1, while trying to run software that was designed for OCS/ECS machines on an AGA machine, and vice-versa. Each incarnation of KS introduced subtle incompatibilities that some software just didn't like. Or, introduction of faster CPUs that old software (often poorly coded, or, that was strictly tied to the timing of the old 68000 of the original A1000/A500/A2000) didn't like. It has nothing to do with the Gotek hardware.

I kind of find it funny how he is using FlashFloppy firmware in the menu selector mode -- that's not needed any more. Older firmware, like Cortex firmware (the first one adapted for use in Goteks and since abandoned due to people selling the developer's free software on pre-flashed Goteks on Ebay without his permission) relied upon that, but with an OLED and being able to directly navigate the USB stick for images with FlashFloppy and HxC firmwares, it is, in my opinion, an outdated mode of using the Gotek.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask...we were all newbies at one time...welcome to the cult. :)

Return to “Hardware”