Jollyware
Manchester, UK

Posted Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:42 pm

Hi,

I have just purchased my very first 1200 and it came with a DKB 1202 accelerator card.

Is this card worth keeping in the machine and if so what advantages does it have ?

Also does the 8MB it has fitted contribute to the system memory ?

Thanks.
Last edited by Jollyware on Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:49 pm

That's a pretty sweet card if it works.

40Mhz is plenty for most of anything you'd ever want to do IMO (and in some cases - like really old games - it can be too much and will have to be disabled).

Real time clock, 8MB RAM, accelerator - that thing kinda does it all.

McTrinsic

Posted Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:19 am

40 MHz is for the FPU. No acceleration if I get it right. Just RAM - which is a great thing - and FPU if populated.

I’d consider any ACA superior.

It’s a question of budget. This one comes for free now that you have it.

Alternatives cost money.

Jollyware
Manchester, UK

Posted Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:29 am

It is populated with this.

TBF I'm probably only going to use the Amiga for gaming as games from that era are way better to play than today's games.

Do I really need this or should I look at selling and maybe just get a RAM expansion board ?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:38 am

I mean, that's tough - but the A1200 is already "accelerated" at 2X the previous-gen Amigas at 14Mhz. From a speed perspective you'll likely be very happy with 95% of the games you play. The only ones you'll potentially see noticeable issues will be racing sims, flight sims, and maybe shooters with tons of sprites on the screen at the same time.

You might be happy with what you've got. Maybe play some games with your current setup and decide later. You very well could have exactly what you're wanting already.

Return to “Hardware”