Signman

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:22 pm

I managed to snap a piece of plastic on all four of the Warps simm sockets
Even with my minimal soldering skills , I think I can replace them.
What is a good source for these 72 pin sockets?

Will these work?

Dynamic_Computing

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:54 pm

Paul Rezendes in the Commodore Amiga Facebook group provided me with mine. Maybe you can reach out to him and ask where he gets them

Signman

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:56 am

Did he install them Doug?
Tbtorro on Amibay (the 060 upgrade guy) advised me to be wary of a self install. Many have ruined their card underestimating the difficulty.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:18 am

Yes, they can be more difficult than you would think. If you don't have a powered vacuum desoldering station, I wouldn't recommend trying it yourself. It's very easy to pull out one of the plated through holes if you don't have the proper tools for the job.

As Doug stated, Paul does these, and, in my opinion, for a very reasonable price. Far more reasonable than the guy you mentioned, and, without his gigantic ego, either.

If you buy the sockets from the link you posted, make sure that what you are purchasing will set the SIMMs at the correct angle needed by the warpengine (90 degrees, I think, instead of the 45 degree ones used by, say, the Cyberstorm MK2). Also, if you have Paul do it, I believe he uses sockets with METAL clips, so no worries of breakage. Those are harder to come by, and, they cost a bit more...but, hey, this is the Amiga we are talking about, everything is expensive.

Signman

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:30 am

Thanks for the replies.
Looks like Paul has a lot on his plate for the foreseeable future.
I hate to send this overseas.

RogerWilco486
Boyertown, PA USA

Posted Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:00 am

If you're still in need of a repair, this would be something I could easily do for you...and I'm in the states.

Return to “Hardware”