intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:40 pm

I hear ya. First starting out can feel a bit daunting and finding actual roadmaps for "This is how you actually do X from step 1 to the end" are few and far between.

That was one of the things that launched this site a few years ago - I was desperate for a step-by-step written guide on how to transfer data (like an ADF file found online) to an actual floppy disk.

Anyhoo, I'd sit down and ask yourself which games you really want to play. I can't remember if you said this or not - but if you don't have the front 256kb, you really really need that. Once you have that, having an extra 1 or 2 (or 8) is a pretty sweet setup for floppy-based games. That could keep you going for some time right there.

But if you're itching to play Eye of the Beholder II, for example, then we'll need to sort out your hard drive situation. If you're into games made back in the 80s, though, a lot of them will work just fine with your machine once you get that RAM in there.

Deluxe Paint III would definitely be a lot better on a hard drive...

So, this is a little going down the rabbit hole, but a friend of mine uses the Wicher 500i with his A1000, which gives him 8MB RAM, bonkers acceleration and a few other tid bits. He's actually mixed it with a machine that is using the coveted Rejuvenator, so it's a completely slick setup (and nothing hanging off the side - all internal). Anyway... there's a dream for ya. ;)

m0th

Posted Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:51 am

intric8 wrote:I hear ya. First starting out can feel a bit daunting and finding actual roadmaps for "This is how you actually do X from step 1 to the end" are few and far between.

That was one of the things that launched this site a few years ago - I was desperate for a step-by-step written guide on how to transfer data (like an ADF file found online) to an actual floppy disk.

Anyhoo, I'd sit down and ask yourself which games you really want to play. I can't remember if you said this or not - but if you don't have the front 256kb, you really really need that. Once you have that, having an extra 1 or 2 (or 8) is a pretty sweet setup for floppy-based games. That could keep you going for some time right there.

But if you're itching to play Eye of the Beholder II, for example, then we'll need to sort out your hard drive situation. If you're into games made back in the 80s, though, a lot of them will work just fine with your machine once you get that RAM in there.

Deluxe Paint III would definitely be a lot better on a hard drive...

So, this is a little going down the rabbit hole, but a friend of mine uses the Wicher 500i with his A1000, which gives him 8MB RAM, bonkers acceleration and a few other tid bits. He's actually mixed it with a machine that is using the coveted Rejuvenator, so it's a completely slick setup (and nothing hanging off the side - all internal). Anyway... there's a dream for ya. ;)
All of this has been great advice. Thank you intric8, and everyone who helped with this!

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:53 pm

m0th wrote:After seeing intric8's post above, how difficult would it be to patch the IDE with Kickstart 1.3? It's starting to look like the easiest route would just be upgrading to 2.0 and using your mod for the IDE. Thank you for helping me with this! I'll post more pictures when I get home.
It's not tough, but you'll need a way to burn the ROM you create.

It looks like you'll have enough vertical room to use the relocator. I recommend you pick up OS3.1.4 if you don't have 3.1 handy (only the A600 version of 2.05+ support IDE) and use the relocator board. 8MB is more than enough RAM to enjoy some quality WHDLoad, and an 8GB CF card should be more than enough for just about everything. You can always make it look just like 1.3, too w/ ClassicWB.

Patched 1.3 would also be great, but WHDLoad is not compatible. I do believe JST is, but it does not have near as much support.

McTrinsic

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:52 am

Does the Kwickstart support standard ROM-chips?

If so you could get one of the A500flash adapters. Vesalia.de still has some. Then you can just flash-write to your ROM and don’t need to burn anything.

I can’t speak about compatibility with an A1k, though. It should work but so can’t confirm.

A10001986

Posted Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:06 am

I would think, it does. The ads on amiga.resource mention upgrades to 1.3 or 2.0, and in no way point to requiring custom EPROMs. The Kwikstart II does positively (at least the version with two sockets, not four), there enough pics on the web to support this.

But I would suppose it would be best if M0th posted an image of his hardware to make sure.

m0th

Posted Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:57 am

EzdineG wrote: It's not tough, but you'll need a way to burn the ROM you create.

It looks like you'll have enough vertical room to use the relocator. I recommend you pick up OS3.1.4 if you don't have 3.1 handy (only the A600 version of 2.05+ support IDE) and use the relocator board. 8MB is more than enough RAM to enjoy some quality WHDLoad, and an 8GB CF card should be more than enough for just about everything. You can always make it look just like 1.3, too w/ ClassicWB.

Patched 1.3 would also be great, but WHDLoad is not compatible. I do believe JST is, but it does not have near as much support.
So updating to the latest Workbench 3.1.4 would be the better option in this case? If I can re-skin it to look like 1.3 I don't think that would be a problem.

Images to the hardware:
https://imgur.com/a/CRGBkzo
https://imgur.com/a/MwIlOqk

Return to “Hardware”