jimbob80

Posted Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:47 pm

Shot97 wrote:Check your PMs - Let me know how it goes.
Thanks for the files, I copied over to my A1200 hdd and tested, it prompts me to insert volume wp in any drive. So I am presuming I need the floppy inserted.

Last night, I had managed to get the adfs extracted and adf to a floppy, then I could run WP from the hdd while the floppy is inserted. I presume that this is how I need to run it? I cannot simply run it without floppy inserted?

My plan is to use my A1200 to write my long planned novel... I wish to use my Amiga as it would provide a more unique way to write, instead of having distractions on a modern machine. ;) Plus, it's an Amiga, need I say more? haha

Thanks again, appreciate the help!

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:30 pm

If it's asking for you to insert a disk, than you'll need to manually assign the disks in the startup-sequence. You'd have to use another kind of word processor or ED to load your startup sequence and then manually input "assign WP: DH0:WP\"

Also there is that setup icon you might have to click and mess with as well.

- Or if you don't want to mess with the startup sequence; I'm sure Intric8 will have no problem getting you those adfs.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:09 am

You shouldn't need a disk inserted to run the program. Shot's solution sounds right. If you moved WP over and didn't use an install it probably did the disk assigns for you.

But I should be able to rip some ADFs this week no problem if you want to go through the whole process again.

jimbob80

Posted Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:54 pm

Found myself some WP 5 ADFs, got these on to floppies and then managed to install it to the hdd. It is now working perfectly.
Thank you for all of your help! :)

For anyone else looking, I found them (Long list of Amiga Apps) here at the Internet Archive.

There are only two ADFs for version 5, Disk 1 is the main install and Disk 2 is the Print disk. For dictionary, use the disk from version 4.1.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:59 pm

Good luck with the novel!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:32 pm

Fantastic! Well done, jimbob80! Have fun.

robdaemon

Posted Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:26 pm

jimbob80 wrote:Found myself some WP 5 ADFs, got these on to floppies and then managed to install it to the hdd. It is now working perfectly.
Wow, I'd love to get my hands on these. I wrote A LOT of my school papers on Atari Writer originally, then moved to WordPerfect when I got a PC. Word and the rest never matched the featureset of WordPerfect. I never even knew it existed on the Amiga!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:37 pm

Rob, I've got an original set of WordPerfect disks for Amiga (actually, I think I have 2 sets). It's a fantastic program. If you sent me some blanks I could make some ADFs for you - no problem at all. IIRC it's 4 disks.

Alternatively I could simply make the ADFs and shoot them to you, if you're super nice. :)

robdaemon

Posted Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:22 pm

intric8 wrote:Rob, I've got an original set of WordPerfect disks for Amiga (actually, I think I have 2 sets). It's a fantastic program. If you sent me some blanks I could make some ADFs for you - no problem at all. IIRC it's 4 disks.

Alternatively I could simply make the ADFs and shoot them to you, if you're super nice. :)
The ADFs would be awesome. :)

I do have a few boxes of floppies around here, but it's easy to use ADFs on my ACA500!

Thank you!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:36 am

This is going to take me some time, Rob. But I'll get on it today.

My boxed set was originally version 4.11, but I also have the upgrade disks (which I believe is the full version) to 4.12, and it is all hard drive installable.

I have 2 Print disks, and they appear unique. I believe you only need one for installation and that may be optional, but I'll include both. One has "additional drivers" for when, you know, you hook up that dot matrix printer!

;) More soon...
IMG_0648.JPG
Attachments
IMG_0666.JPG
I'd forgotten how lovely the disk icon is as my copy is installed to one of my hard drives. Word Perfect corp spent a ton of time making their software icons look and feel amazing - across all products (Library is probably my favorite example of this).

Return to “Software”