intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:31 pm

Some folks know I like to collect old User Group disks. I also like to collect Public Domain software (not just Fred Fish, but disks that were packaged by all sorts of organizations).

Sometimes in my stuff I'll run across even more obscure data, like downloads some folks made and saved to floppy that they found on BBS's.

"Wait, so why do you collect people's old floppy disks from ancient BBS download stacks?" No reason. ;)

Have a nice weekend, everyone.

P.S.
I wonder how long someone waited to download - and write - this image to floppy off a BBS back in the day? Probably off a 300 or 1200 baud modem, possibly long-distance!
Attachments
HAMbombshell.jpg

Bulletdust

Posted Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:45 pm

They could have been downloading using a 2400 baud modem, they were readily available by that time. I've still got my little 300 baud Radio Shack RS-232 modem here and it still works. I still remember getting my Amiga online for the first time, that feeling of having the whole world at my fingertips for the first time ever! Good days.

EDIT: I like the method employed to keep the trapdoor shut on the 1084S Eric!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:52 pm

Hah! Yeah, I got tired of the various glue fails. This works, is almost the same color, and if I need to make a screen or volume adjustment it's: peel - twist - tap back down - and play. =)

Not ideal, but not the worst. I'd rather do this than remove the door entirely.

Bulletdust

Posted Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:03 pm

intric8 wrote:
Hah! Yeah, I got tired of the various glue fails. This works, is almost the same color, and if I need to make a screen or volume adjustment it's: peel - twist - tap back down - and play. =)

Not ideal, but not the worst. I'd rather do this than remove the door entirely.
That's a 1084 D1 or a D2, I remember having one of those in the day and that trapdoor broke within months of me buying it from brand new! They were notorious for it.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:49 am

Heh, I always saved my downloads disks. I still have most of them today, several from Q-Link for the 64 and tons of BBS downloads from various boards in the area. From 64 to Amiga, then DOS and Mac, still have most of them. I used to save them on floppy, then Syquest disks on Amiga (88MB 5.25") and Mac (135MB 3.5"), Zip disks, then finally CDR and DVDR. I guess I am a nut. I haven't had much time to go through the disks that I have.

But yeah, I always tried to collect the PD and oddball collections back then and still do today. You find some gems on those disks.

Return to “Software”