Amiga OS, Workbench and Kickstart, Utilities, Optimizations, Hacks and all things file/usage related
Mr.Toast
Roseville, CA

by Mr.Toast posted Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:07 pm

Years and years ago, I made what I thought was the most minimalist WB1.3 disk I could come up with. This was meant to get me to a useable Workbench environment quickly and with the lowest possible RAM footprint. With this disk as a master, I made a number of disks that featured utilities that I could fit onto the bootable disk. This was done primarily to reduce the disk swapping in my A1000 (especially since my external 1010 died and I couldn't afford a replacement). These disks are all gone with time and the memories of "ed startup-sequence" are a bit squishy at this point.

Does anyone have a master fast booting WB 1.3 floppy that they can share? Or one that is a good candidate for shaving down? I am particularly interested in 1.3 but would also welcome a 2.x+ equivalent.
dalek

by dalek posted Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:13 pm

A looong time ago (1996?) I made a very bad script: http://www.daleking.org/~dalek/bootdiskmaker which will create a bootable 1.3 disk in DF0: based on the files in SYS:. It worked by copying them to RAM first as I didn't have an external floppy or hard disk on my A500.

It still works, and at least gives you an idea of what needs to be done to tailor to your needs.
Mr.Toast
Roseville, CA

by Mr.Toast posted Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:54 pm

Perfect Dalek, this is exactly what I needed. Bootable, 1.3, super bare bones with very little disk space used, and perfect framework for customizing.

Minimalist 1.3.adf.zip
DaleK's Minimalist WB 1.3
(102.13 KiB) Downloaded 1 time

I ran the script inside a standard 1.3 WinUAE environment and then sneakered it over to one of the A500s I am working on via a Gotek USB. Fast boot times and soon I'll customize it with a collection of diagnostic utilities for doing system checks on repairs.
morningstar

by morningstar posted Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:06 pm

Hi, thanks for sharing your project with us, even if it's old, but it's a good exemple that could help a lot.