Overmann

Posted Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:18 pm

Yeah, there are files on eab's ftp servers. Amiga -> Misc. Use Cammy's image as filedisk 1 and boot into that and install or just use that. Macintoshgarden hosts mac rom's (I think). Make sure you use something appropriate!

I've been struggling with ShapeShifter many times. I'll do my best to assist! You might want to delete your pram-file (in Shapeshifters directory) and see if it fixes your "smiling-mac" error.

What is your OS?

Bulletdust

Posted Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:11 pm

I tried finding Cammy's image but couldn't find it, I'll give your suggestions a shot - Thanks.

As far as I'm aware I'm trying to boot into System 7 under Shapeshifter, running AmigaOS 3.1 on the host machine.

Downloading, phew, this is slow going!

Tekk
The Netherlands - EU

Posted Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:06 pm

Retrocomputing.. retrospeeds :)

Any luck?

Bulletdust

Posted Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:52 pm

Tekk wrote:Retrocomputing.. retrospeeds :)

Any luck?
Still no dice.

I'm sure I have the right files, the problem is that in Shapeshifter I really have no idea just what to do with them!

Bulletdust

Posted Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:12 am

Success!

I finally have a booting Mac! All I have to do now, I think, is install the OS to a virtual HDD. Quite impressive TBH, as far as I can tell, my A1200 with a 68030 @ 40Mhz and 128MB of fast ram actually runs far better than I remember my real Mac with HDD and 68030 performing.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:58 am

What were your steps to success?

And congrats! That’s so cool.

Bulletdust

Posted Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:50 pm

Still working on Shapeshifter. Once I'm done I'll post notes on installing and using the software.

A word of warning, Shapeshifter 'cannot' use a folder as a virtual hard drive! What happens is it tries to format the entire partition!

Luckily it was just my 'Work' partition so it didn't really have anything important on it besides ADoom and Gloom Deluxe. Sad thing is I have no idea just where I got Gloom Deluxe from and have no idea where to find the Linux .wad files for ADoom.

Tekk
The Netherlands - EU

Posted Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:24 am

I finally found out what was wrong - it's still not very fast though. First of all the wrong 68060 library let the software crash. I'm using 46.15 atm. Furthermore I've set the MaxTransfer to 0x1fe00 which is the max recommended, I believe. But booting was still slow until I read about the disk buffers. Mine was at 512Kb and I set it to the max (32MB I think). That made it boot 4x as fast. The gfx were still slow.

Installing MuEVD helped as enormously. Not lightning speed but much better. I still have the feeling it can be much faster. Especially when I look at the RetroManCave vid. So if you guys have any more pointers.. please :)

morningstar

Posted Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:47 pm

Thank you for your return, it explains better the cause of the problem, and it will help many of us (including me).

ShowBox Tutuapp Mobdro
Last edited by morningstar on Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tekk
The Netherlands - EU

Posted Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:58 pm

I heard that PFS 3 helps as well to speed up the boot process which is 3 minutes atm. That said a block size of 512 should do the trick as well. Now for a good tutorial on PFS3. Anyone?

Return to “Software”