EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:15 am

You need to provide power to that IDE2SD adapter. Perhaps you can get a Y splitter to split from the floppy power cable?

m0th

Posted Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:43 am

EzdineG wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:15 am
You need to provide power to that IDE2SD adapter. Perhaps you can get a Y splitter to split from the floppy power cable?
It's showing power on the little LED chip. Y splitter to molex?

McTrinsic

Posted Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:48 am

Regarding the ROM: I meant a ROM with a Kickstart 1.2 or 1.3 in it. You said you have 3.1.4 so this doesn’t matter.

So my questions would be: is the MKL RAM autoconfig?

Does the IDE2SD-Adapter have enough power, i.e. does the power-LED glow?

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:09 am

m0th wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:43 am
EzdineG wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:15 am
It's showing power on the little LED chip. Y splitter to molex?
That isn’t power. You are seeing loop back; it won’t work until you split power from either floppy or other to the molex.

m0th

Posted Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:13 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:48 am
Regarding the ROM: I meant a ROM with a Kickstart 1.2 or 1.3 in it. You said you have 3.1.4 so this doesn’t matter.

So my questions would be: is the MKL RAM autoconfig?

Does the IDE2SD-Adapter have enough power, i.e. does the power-LED glow?
EzdineG wrote:
That isn’t power. You are seeing loop back; it won’t work until you split power from either floppy or other to the molex.
I just ordered some Y-Cables from Amazon to see if this works. If that doesn't work, I'll reach out to MKL on the autoconfig issue.

Thank you for both of your help!

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:35 am

The 8MB board is indeed autoconfig, although you can jumper it not to be.

This is not the issue you’re having, as you’d see IDE activity even with only 512k (but actually booting with so little RAM is another question.)

[edit] It is not clear from your photos if you have connected the INT2 and OVR pins from MKL’s board to your A1000. If you haven’t, the IDE isn’t going to work. Ask MKL for a link to show you which pins need to be connected to where on your motherboard. He has a website with all the necessary info he personally maintains.

McTrinsic

Posted Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:59 am

Just to clarify. My questions regarding (autoconfig) RAM is mid-term to ensure that 3.1.4 can run on the machine.

First we should solve the hardware-issues. Get the signals as EdzineG said to the board. Make sure it’s appropriately powered.

Then we can look at the software.

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:59 am

I’ve attached a photo I’ve found from a while back when I installed the same board. OVR and INT2 are the yellow/green pair as attached to the version of the IDE68K I used (yours may have the pins in a different place) and the A1000 expansion connector. Note their location on the motherboard.
055C0AA3-ED77-4923-B522-065303B54C44.jpeg

m0th

Posted Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:43 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:59 am
Just to clarify. My questions regarding (autoconfig) RAM is mid-term to ensure that 3.1.4 can run on the machine.

First we should solve the hardware-issues. Get the signals as EdzineG said to the board. Make sure it’s appropriately powered.

Then we can look at the software.
As of right now the computer can and will boot to 3.1.4 locally on the ram disk or kickrom. I'm going to attempt to power the SD IDE
EzdineG wrote: I’ve attached a photo I’ve found from a while back when I installed the same board. OVR and INT2 are the yellow/green pair as attached to the version of the IDE68K I used (yours may have the pins in a different place) and the A1000 expansion connector. Note their location on the motherboard.
Thank you for the photo reference... :shock: as much as I appreciate MKL's hardware his site is very difficult to navigate when looking for information.

m0th

Posted Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:49 am

So... after connecting power to the SD IDE and connect the IN2/OVR I made sure that I did the WinUAE instructions one last time so I could be absolutely sure nothing went wrong. Sadly no Workbench came up... The AMIGA still goes to Kickstart 3.1.4 when everything is disconnected except for the SD IDE.

Return to “Software”