intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:41 pm

Are your icons in Amiga Workbench 3.1 constantly overlapping or not following a proper grid and it is driving you bonkers?

It turns out there are a few easy ways to fix this problem and bring some peace to your OCD mind.

Option 1: Do it yourself
Open up the folder in question and arrange the icons on the screen the way you'd like them to look. Once done, click-drag to select all of the icons. Then, right-click and under the 'Icons' menu at the top select 'Snapshot'.

This will tell your computer to remember their placement the next time you re-open the folder.

Option 2: Let the Amiga do it for you (sort of)

Press the right-Amiga key on the keyboard (the hollowed out 'A' key) + the period key. It will auto-arrange your icons for you on a tight grid. You still need to click-drag a box to select all of the icons, then right-click to select 'Snapshot' from the icons menu. Saves a bit of time if you want to use the Amiga's grid system.

nyteshade
California

Posted Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:26 am

This is good, but there are different solutions to different versions of the OS. And different variants such as sorting by name or column.

Another way I used to do I was to create a folder and drag the items into the folder, not into the window, and Workbench would like them up in order. This one is hit or miss.

Finally there are cli commands on Aminet that do this too.

TomCorbett

Posted Fri May 18, 2018 4:46 pm

Hey Intric8,

I thought that Snapshot would work on the open window for all the icons in the window, not so? I seem to recall that there was a choice on the snapshot, as in all, or maybe selected?? On that vein, is there any way to change icons (system I think), as I found I like the ol cloud zzzz icon for busy from 1.3, and don't care for the pocket watch icon in 3.1. Is there a way to do it, or maybe a chapter in the workbench book to reference me to? Help is appreciated. Tom Corbett

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri May 18, 2018 5:23 pm

Hey Tom

Changing disk/folder/tool/etc icons is really easy. That "busy" icon is technically your pointer changing states. I'll poke around and see what I can find out. Interesting idea!

Update: I've looked around a little bit and to be honest I've no clue. But I'll keep looking. You'd think it would just be a sprite of some sort you could swap out. Question is - where is it? Hm...

Perifractic

Posted Wed May 23, 2018 10:50 pm

Here's how to sort Amiga Workbench icons by name. Hope this helps! https://youtu.be/bE4zVEg1_EE

Your friend in retro, Chris aka ԹҽɾíƒɾɑϲԵíϲ

Return to “Software”